Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts
I'm not sure what differences, if any, there is between the 1.6 Pathfinder and the newer 1.9TDI. The Pathfinder engines were rare even when they were popular. A lot of them ended up getting scrapped in the 90's.
Yeah, I just missed one on eBay. Also looks like it used a specialized starter...
I might need to just build a plate to mount the transmission

Something like how this one was done

Here’s the front of my transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never did quite understand the Pathfinder starter deal. They all looked like American Hi-Torq mini starters for V8s. As long as you can keep everything inline and square, a plate set up should work well. I know some of the DIY automotive swaps have many miles on DIY plate setups. A good solid bench or table would be of great value to keep everything square and inline while building the plates.

I never did quite understand the Pathfinder starter deal. They all looked like American Hi-Torq mini starters for V8s. As long as you can keep everything inline and square, a plate set up should work well. I know some of the DIY automotive swaps have many miles on DIY plate setups. A good solid bench or table would be of great value to keep everything square and inline while building the plates.
I definitely have a great shop to work in. Including welders, plasma, oxy/acet torches, press, drill press, etc.
I think I may have a couple steel plates laying around to use, so maybe I’ll use the mechanical drawing dimensions as well. Should be easy enough to create. Do you know of a starter to mount on the engine side? I think my transmission is too big to allow the transmission side starter to be used.

I emailed malone and got a reply back in less than an hour. I had a few more q's for them but i plan on mailing it out next week. Going to get it running in the passat first. Then do bs delete and tb in the passat using it as my engine stand, set my tv and test run again. Then strip the wiring and test run a 3rd time before dropping in the boat.

The back is good and so long as weather stays in the 50s and dry I plan on 8 hrs a weekend every weekend until the spring.

First thing first....a bullet proof, fully serviced stand alone engine.

The boat is getting a restoration plus swap so this may be an all summer job

I definitely have a great shop to work in. Including welders, plasma, oxy/acet torches, press, drill press, etc.
I think I may have a couple steel plates laying around to use, so maybe I’ll use the mechanical drawing dimensions as well. Should be easy enough to create. Do you know of a starter to mount on the engine side? I think my transmission is too big to allow the transmission side starter to be used.

Sounds like you have agoodset up. I'm not sure of engine side starter. The Rangers had engine side starters. I'm not sure if they will have the torque to spin the TDI. The starter will need to be matched to the flywheel so the teeth mesh properly. This guy is on the TDI club forums. He may be able to advise you on the starter situation. http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/

I emailed malone and got a reply back in less than an hour. I had a few more q's for them but i plan on mailing it out next week. Going to get it running in the passat first. Then do bs delete and tb in the passat using it as my engine stand, set my tv and test run again. Then strip the wiring and test run a 3rd time before dropping in the boat.

The back is good and so long as weather stays in the 50s and dry I plan on 8 hrs a weekend every weekend until the spring.

First thing first....a bullet proof, fully serviced stand alone engine.

The boat is getting a restoration plus swap so this may be an all summer job
That sounds like a good plan. Is the Passat a rear drive with the engine inline or is it a transverse mounted front wheel drive engine?

Sounds like you have agoodset up. I'm not sure of engine side starter. The Rangers had engine side starters. I'm not sure if they will have the torque to spin the TDI. The starter will need to be matched to the flywheel so the teeth mesh properly. This guy is on the TDI club forums. He may be able to advise you on the starter situation. http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/adapter/

That sounds like a good plan. Is the Passat a rear drive with the engine inline or is it a transverse mounted front wheel drive engine?
Looks like he has some awesome products. I’ve emailed him on two different email addresses and have yet to get a response. I hope he’s ok. It might come down to taking the flywheel to the parts store and just trying different starters to see how they mesh with the Volkswagen flywheel. I’m sure something will work. Maybe can somehow use the original starter with some grinding? Maybe?

Looks like he has some awesome products. I’ve emailed him on two different email addresses and have yet to get a response. I hope he’s ok. It might come down to taking the flywheel to the parts store and just trying different starters to see how they mesh with the Volkswagen flywheel. I’m sure something will work. Maybe can somehow use the original starter with some grinding? Maybe?

I have rebuilt starters before, but I wonder if it would be possible to rebuild the starter to spin the opposite direction?

It is a longitudinal mounted engine. At first i thought it was rwd because of this but it is fwd. The did make an awd version as well.

I don’t think direction can be changed as the starter drive gear is made to be thrown off flywheel after starting.

Are you wanting to use your vw starter with your swap? What flywheel are you going to use?

How heavy is your flywheel? I believe the target is 30 lbs to get a nice smooth idle

I plan on adapting my sbc mercury flyweel and using the chevy starter. I have gotten to the starter yet...still removing the front clip. I want to say passenger side.

The bhw starter is transmission mounted.

The gas to diesel page has a pretty good pic of the sbc adapter

My father is the maintenance supervisor at an upstate plant, i usually use him or an uncle who's a machinist at a shop across the street from one of my father's plants. Norris supply near cedar lane rd is also a good supply of new and used metal stock.

I'm not a machinist, im an outdoor power equipment technician.

My father is the maintenance supervisor at an upstate plant, i usually use him or an uncle who's a machinist at a shop across the street from one of my father's plants. Norris supply near cedar lane rd is also a good supply of new and used metal stock.

I'm not a machinist, im an outdoor power equipment technician.
That’s awesome you have people who can machine for you. What are you planing to do for your bellhousing?

101 - 120 of 139 Posts