Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Being that i have an alpha outdrive ill use a plate to adapt the bell housing that originally went to the back of my 350 to it. The back of my block will be a 350. Do the first one in plexi glass, perfect it with plywood then final in aluminum or steel. At that point it will be easy to have it copied

·
Registered
43 Posts
Being that i have an alpha outdrive ill use a plate to adapt the bell housing that originally went to the back of my 350 to it. The back of my block will be a 350. Do the first one in plexi glass, perfect it with plywood then final in aluminum or steel. At that point it will be easy to have it copied
Will this require you to make your plate be a spacer as well because of your flywheel spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

·
0 Posts
Yes, the hub will push the flywheel further from the engine so the plate will be a little thicker.

The starter will then bolt to the chevy er...mercruiser bell housing and use a cheap 35 dollar starter. No need for special marine starter or alternator with a diesel

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes, the hub will push the flywheel further from the engine so the plate will be a little thicker.

The starter will then bolt to the chevy er...mercruiser bell housing and use a cheap 35 dollar starter. No need for special marine starter or alternator with a diesel
I agree but I still like to keep the explosion resistant marine starter, just in case of an oil or fuel leak.

P

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be an issue. You would have to fill your bilge with diesel or oil for it to present a problem. It's the explosive properties of gas fumes that imho cause the issue which will not be present when you have diesel

·
Registered
43 Posts

On one of my other boats, I have a 305 v8 mercruiser. I put a mini hi torque starter marine rated on it from eBay. I think I paid about that for it. I love how cheap Chevy parts are.

P

·
0 Posts
No doubt!

I got the cheap ebay 150 dollar tandem pump in my 05 passat trying it out. So far so good. If it lasts 100k it will be as good as the oem.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be an issue. You would have to fill your bilge with diesel or oil for it to present a problem. It's the explosive properties of gas fumes that imho cause the issue which will not be present when you have diesel
That's why I would prefer a marine starter. I know the issues with gasoline. I always popped the hatch or tilted the dog house open while running the bilge blowers before starting the engines. It wouldn't be as big a deal with diesel, but with my luck, big BOOM! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hoping the weather warms up soon! I need to pull ecm out and send off for programming. The cold has got to give up soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking a putting a diesel into my 1990 Suzuki Sidekick 5SPD. What would you recommend? I want some power but I like fuel mileage, cheap and easy install. What are your recommendations.

P

·
0 Posts
So...on the marine conversions, power assist steering issues...how are we gonna over come that? The stock gm power steering pump is near identical to an automotive pump except the valve, the next hurdle is the fact it's a v belt. How are we gonna overcome this little huddle? Hydraulic helm is 800, a ram is 300....or can we find a way to keep her power assist?

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. a 1.9 or 2.0L VW TDI mounted up to A Toyota 5-speed putting out that high of horsepower and torque is not adequate for a heavy four-wheel drive. 2. My 4bta 175 HP / 420T came out of a 11,500lbs aluminum Van with and Allison 5spd and in my 96 Dodge extra cab 4x4 after the original 6bt had 600k and the third auto transmission died in 2014. Engines & Transmissions are expensive. This truck goes in the Oregon dunes and steep Rocky Hills at China Hat Oregon and It's 6923lbs Empty. I'm 55 years old and I know what I'm talkin about with many PNW 4 Wheel Drive clubs over the last 30 years and for how many VW tdi's my wife has had break down. It ain't happening! 4bt/ Allison 5-speed hasn't broke down once. The only thing I have replaced since the swap is two new batteries February 2020. I'm sorry but I am a straight shooter and I tell it like it is. I am also ASE/G1 certification and build Tuff trucks rock crawlers and go to many mud bogs. My 4BT pulled a mud bog CJ5Jeep on a trailer, it wasn't the fastest thing, but we get there and was doing the speed limit over those Hills going to the Oregon coast on Highway 38 towards Reedsport. I'm very happy with the smaller Cummins but most of all this Allison 5-speed is geared perfectly.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts