Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

What adapter kit do you want?

• Small block chevy V8

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Jeep 4.0L

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Ford small block

Votes: 14 45.2%

VW to _______ adapter kits. I'm going to make two. Lets hear what you want!

20K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Giantmcm 
#1 ·
As title says, I'm going to design and build VW 4 cyl adapter plates and flywheel adapters over the next 6-8 months. Will turn the back of the VW into the back of whatever motor we're impersonating. Acme already makes a toyota plate so I'm not going to go there. My two picks are old school SBC and jeep 4.0L. I only have time and machine capacity to make two patterns so lets hear what you guys want.

#4 · (Edited)
Jeep AW4; lots of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees out there coming onto the used market with the 4.0l and the auto that need a repower or a better MPG engine swap.

My wife's would be 1 specifically. :)

I would be concerned if it could handle it, but a quick search shows that properly built they can take 275hp/315lbft. Same tranny is used in supercharged Toyota Supras that can put down 450hp. Hmmm..I didn't known that.

#9 ·
The adapters I'm planning on making will turn the back of the VW into the back of X motor. It will not be transmission specific. Bolt up the OEM flywheel/flexplate for the motor you're impersonating and bolt up the trans and go! The OEM starters/locations will also be used.

#10 ·
Out of curiosity how would you do a starter for a gm app, since the factory starters bolted to the engine blocks? Also for gm adapting would it be easier to use the smaller 2.8/2.5 bellhousing since it would be much smaller and fit around the vw engine easier?
Thanks
Brent

#16 · (Edited)
You can make more usable power with the tdi IMO also unless you go bonkers with the 4b, but then the usable rpm range goes out the window again. An ALH with an 11mm pump, 5x.010" nozzles, tune, supporting minor mods, and a 1756vk turbo will make 340lb/ft to the tires at 2100rpm and 209whp at 5100rpm. Show me any other diesel that can do that much in such a small package with that wide of a power band. If you're willing to delve inside the motor for a build (which is cheaper than rebuilding a 4B), you can up the turbo and nozzles and get into 450lb/ft 250whp range while still getting 90% of the mileage of a stocker. My 16:1 compression full race motor with compound turbos in an awd 3400lb wagon still gets 39mpg at 80mph.

As much variation as there appears to be between the castings of the various iterations of the tdi with regards to crank centering (re: Jimbote on tdiclub). My dream is that you would include a centering jig like Jimbote's, some good instructions on how to use a dial indicator to center it, and some way to lock it in once it is centered. But don't listen to me, I'm just dreamin'. I love the idea of diesel swapping minitruck yotas with tdis but am currently focused on the vehicle in my sig.
Jim is a good friend of mine actually! Why he ran into all the crank centering issues is because the particular adapter kit he used doesn't do dowel to dowel centering; it relies on bolts to center. Anyone in their right mind knows that's a terrible idea when it comes to centering something critical.

This is an ls to audi r8/gallardo trans adapter I helped design. Notice the dowel pin locations.

#15 ·
As much variation as there appears to be between the castings of the various iterations of the tdi with regards to crank centering (re: Jimbote on tdiclub). My dream is that you would include a centering jig like Jimbote's, some good instructions on how to use a dial indicator to center it, and some way to lock it in once it is centered. But don't listen to me, I'm just dreamin'. I love the idea of diesel swapping minitruck yotas with tdis but am currently focused on the vehicle in my sig.

#18 ·
I'm also in for a jeep one as I just picked up a 05 6 speed for the Wifes '67 Wagoner .

#20 ·
What can I say I'm kinda thick headed and will have to do it to prove to myself that it wont work :eek:
you know what they say about flying"all it takes is money and airspeed";)
I still think the numbers work for my project....but time and money will tell:beer:

#21 ·
Would it be possible to source an inline 5 cylinder 2.5 VE non plasma coated cylinder tdi engine? I'm really trying to determine whether to go cummins 4bt or tdi. I can't see a built ALH in a 5500 lb f-150. The guys I've talked to in Europe aren't impressed with the v-6 tdi's either. A v-10 tdi toureg might be cool. I've seen a few of them available stateside wrecked complete with tranny,ecu and harness. I would definitely have the coolest F-150 in America. I vote a plate for a tdi to ford 5r110. It's a beast of an automatic tranny. Good luck because 4bt's and 6bt's rule the conversion world (complete with their tractor technology).

#22 ·
+1 for Jeep 4.0. I was really excited when I first read about the 2.5 (k-car engine) Dakota bellhousing rumor but apparently its all based on one or two years of the Omni that had an available VW 1.7 and the transmission bell was fitted to the engine... so I guess I'm back to buying an adapter for my AX15. What do you think you'll $ell them for?

#24 ·
I've been casually following that outfit (Coty Built) for a while now. Seems like they've got a slick conversion BUT it's just too much money! Plus they designed the whole thing around the PD engine and I'm told there's no way an ALH or any belt-driven pump engine can be fitted to the truss...
I'm not against getting their adapter but I'd like to see another option out there (be nice if it were cheaper too.)

#28 ·
My vote would be for a Ford adapter for a 4.0L Ranger/Explorer based vehicle. As stated there is already an adapter for the Jeep. I think this would be a popular swap, good sound vehicle of the right size and weight for a TDi as well there are a lot of OHC 4.0L that when getting up in mileage need the timing chain replaced, making them the perfect candidate for repower as they can be bought cheaply enough as repairing the OHC 4.0L is quite expensive. I was looking at doing a Mercedes OM617 swap into a Ranger but think a nicely done up TDi motor would be a much nicer swap.

#31 ·
SBF adapter

i just found one made for the ford ranger 3.0l
gastodiesel.tdconversions,com/adapters/

Yeah I've seen that adapter. It seems pretty slick, looks like it even allows clocking of the engine off of straight vertical too. Unfortunately they only make it for the 3.0L which is less common and not only has a slightly different bell housing than the 4.0L. As well, a lot of people aren't aware the internals on the automatic A4LD/4R44 trans they put behind the 3.0L are not meant to handle as much torque as the A4LD/4R55 they put behind the 4.0L, which is also what I already have in my truck. As the TDI is capable of some serious power. If I have to go through the effort to change the trans I would rather put the stronger 4R70 auto from behind a SBF 5.0L to handle the torque pulses of the motor.