What adapter kit do you want?

• Small block chevy V8

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Jeep 4.0L

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Ford small block

Votes: 14 45.2%
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Would it be possible to source an inline 5 cylinder 2.5 VE non plasma coated cylinder tdi engine? I'm really trying to determine whether to go cummins 4bt or tdi. I can't see a built ALH in a 5500 lb f-150. The guys I've talked to in Europe aren't impressed with the v-6 tdi's either. A v-10 tdi toureg might be cool. I've seen a few of them available stateside wrecked complete with tranny,ecu and harness. I would definitely have the coolest F-150 in America. I vote a plate for a tdi to ford 5r110. It's a beast of an automatic tranny. Good luck because 4bt's and 6bt's rule the conversion world (complete with their tractor technology).

+1 for Jeep 4.0. I was really excited when I first read about the 2.5 (k-car engine) Dakota bellhousing rumor but apparently its all based on one or two years of the Omni that had an available VW 1.7 and the transmission bell was fitted to the engine... so I guess I'm back to buying an adapter for my AX15. What do you think you'll $ell them for?

+1 for Jeep 4.0. I was really excited when I first read about the 2.5 (k-car engine) Dakota bellhousing rumor but apparently its all based on one or two years of the Omni that had an available VW 1.7 and the transmission bell was fitted to the engine... so I guess I'm back to buying an adapter for my AX15. What do you think you'll $ell them for?
the hpa coty built one already adapts the ax15 nv3550 4.0 trans to tdi its $895 for the crank adapter,starter adapter and trans adapter

I've been casually following that outfit (Coty Built) for a while now. Seems like they've got a slick conversion BUT it's just too much money! Plus they designed the whole thing around the PD engine and I'm told there's no way an ALH or any belt-driven pump engine can be fitted to the truss...
I'm not against getting their adapter but I'd like to see another option out there (be nice if it were cheaper too.)

I've been casually following that outfit (Coty Built) for a while now. Seems like they've got a slick conversion BUT it's just too much money! Plus they designed the whole thing around the PD engine and I'm told there's no way an ALH or any belt-driven pump engine can be fitted to the truss...
I'm not against getting their adapter but I'd like to see another option out there (be nice if it were cheaper too.)
that makes sense, i have a 1z bolted to it and it works good other than i had to modify it for the vacuum pump. it fits the alh with no mods just fine though.

id just like to see a ford adapter or one thats hasn't been done before

My vote would be for a Ford adapter for a 4.0L Ranger/Explorer based vehicle. As stated there is already an adapter for the Jeep. I think this would be a popular swap, good sound vehicle of the right size and weight for a TDi as well there are a lot of OHC 4.0L that when getting up in mileage need the timing chain replaced, making them the perfect candidate for repower as they can be bought cheaply enough as repairing the OHC 4.0L is quite expensive. I was looking at doing a Mercedes OM617 swap into a Ranger but think a nicely done up TDi motor would be a much nicer swap.

SBF adapter

i just found one made for the ford ranger 3.0l
gastodiesel.tdconversions,com/adapters/

Yeah I've seen that adapter. It seems pretty slick, looks like it even allows clocking of the engine off of straight vertical too. Unfortunately they only make it for the 3.0L which is less common and not only has a slightly different bell housing than the 4.0L. As well, a lot of people aren't aware the internals on the automatic A4LD/4R44 trans they put behind the 3.0L are not meant to handle as much torque as the A4LD/4R55 they put behind the 4.0L, which is also what I already have in my truck. As the TDI is capable of some serious power. If I have to go through the effort to change the trans I would rather put the stronger 4R70 auto from behind a SBF 5.0L to handle the torque pulses of the motor.

Unfortunately they only make it for the 3.0L which is less common and not only has a slightly different bell housing than the 4.0L. .
You must have missed this line?
If you dont see the adapter that you need, please email us and we will see if we can build it for you! ;>)
Here is a list of the patterns that we currently have for our EV adapters (including the 4.0L) and most of them can be built as TDI adapters.
http://www.canev.com/adapters.php

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I haven't checked on the this thread in a long while as things got nuts here moving/building a new shop. But since Randy (EVguy two post above) started making the exact type of adapter plates I had in my head, I have zero reason to make the same product and compete with him. I've been using his adapters and one is going in my personal vehicle as soon as he finishes it. They are fantastic quality and I couldn't make them any better myself. I'm more than happy to save the headache of making yet another product line here at my shop!

Hey Whitbread,

How well do you think an 00-03 jetta/golf TDI would fit and work with a gen 2 mini cooper? I am hoping to retain all the electronics in the cooper, but get the reliability/performance of the TDI in a manual.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts