Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
this link is good too: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cummins_4bt_and_6bt_adapter.htm

"This Junk has got to have a 20 degree tilt on the transmission or engine. This is what you don't want."

that statement pisses me off, 20 degrees my a... that website pisses me off too, what a crappy format.

The adapters and flywheels are something like 1400, i think the place has posted them for sale on ebay before.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
this link is good too: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/cummins_4bt_and_6bt_adapter.htm

"This Junk has got to have a 20 degree tilt on the transmission or engine. This is what you don't want."

that statement pisses me off, 20 degrees my a... that website pisses me off too, what a crappy format.
Same here. Those "JUNK" 4BT p30 van adapters are still functioning with a combined total of millions, if not billions of proven highway miles just as they were designed to do! I also have little faith in someone who can not measure the correct degrees of tilt. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
They're just trying selling destroked parts.

It pisses me off that destroked makes a good product, but you have to buy from PATC or autoworld, both places don't seam to have a clue about the destroked parts they're selling or what customer service is.

Destroked seams to be a pretty good outfit, but they're impossible to get ahold of. Leave 20 messages you might get lucky and get a call back.

I'm sure they sell a decent number of those adapters, the tilt is a pain, but it sure isn't 20 degrees.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol now I finally know what all the fuss was about with the tilt...I saw those on ebay and wondered what they were talking about...it is a rotation :idea: rather than a tilt.... y not make an deep aluminum pan for the tranny that sits level and a filter extention is you are worried about the function of the tranmission at different angles :confused:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
lol now I finally know what all the fuss was about with the tilt...I saw those on ebay and wondered what they were talking about...it is a rotation :idea: rather than a tilt.... y not make an deep aluminum pan for the tranny that sits level and a filter extention is you are worried about the function of the tranmission at different angles :confused:
or you can til the engine. if you are building your own mounts, no big deal really.

·
Registered
126 Posts
all those adapters use a specific ford starter...

=more $

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he wants $1400 for those then he can keep them. For $1400, the finish is pathetic. At least he could have cleaned them up a little.

Man, I can't wait until I get moved and get my machine shop set up again. Gonna be like 6 months befroe I can get it set up though. That relly bites.

Mike

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If he wants $1400 for those then he can keep them. For $1400, the finish is pathetic. At least he could have cleaned them up a little.

Man, I can't wait until I get moved and get my machine shop set up again. Gonna be like 6 months befroe I can get it set up though. That relly bites.

Mike
I was thinking the same on the finish too. The parts are well made with some good thought put into thier design, but the finish isn't the best.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For the amount of work and material that is put into those parts, $1400 is a good deal. If you disagree than please start producing them with a better finish and a cheaper price tag.
There is not an endless supply of tilted adapters and some of them that I have seen were in very tough shape (stripped threads).
Destroked does not pick up the phone because they are making parts and have vendors that do that for them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Screaming seeman.

I woked as a machinist for many years and am going back into the field after my move. A CNC machine taked the time needed to produce something and reduces it drastically. If something like this was drawn up in Mastercam then the time needed to produce it falls again. Mastercam also generates the code needed to operate the machine.

The adapter appears to be aluminum, most likely 6061-T6. Now on a half decent machine you could easily run .100 feed at 250 inches per minute in this with coolant. The flywheel could easily be done the same way on a CNC lathe.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the amount of work that went into this, just the finish for the price wanted. If this set-up had a better machining finish, then i wouldn't have a problem paying what he wanted. With the finish on the adapter now, it kinda looks like it was rushed through the process which makes me wonder about the rest of the work.

Granted, the tolerances I usually hold don't come into play on something like this, but the finish also reflects your work. If the finish looks like crap, then it kinda makes the rest of the work look like crap.

As for me producing these cheaper and with a better finish, well, lets just say I'm working on something similar right now. It will be awhile as my machines are tore down to get ready for the move. I'm leaving PA for AZ in about a month and you can't just pick up and move a bunch a of machines at a moments notice. And considering the fact I get extremely anal about my machines, I wouldn't let a moving company even begin to think about touching them.

I really do hope destroked gets this worked out. We need people like them and it makes me happy to see things like this be developed. Without people like this, where woild we be today in society?

Mike

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
For the amount of work and material that is put into those parts, $1400 is a good deal. If you disagree than please start producing them with a better finish and a cheaper price tag.
That has already been done in a slightly different version by our member Amwise on here:
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2050

There is not an endless supply of tilted adapters and some of them that I have seen were in very tough shape (stripped threads).
Those stripped threads are probably the results of a depot mechanic replacing a clutch or transmission and over torquing the bolts. Granted some are found in this condition.

I still think that the original investment casting method could lower the production costs by at least 50% if someone were to pursue it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I still think that the original investment casting method could lower the production costs by at least 50% if someone were to pursue it.
In my senior design project (SAE Baja Car) we are incorporating several parts produced by signacast (one of our sponsors) I'll have to talk to our contact about what they might be able to produce :idea:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Destroked does not pick up the phone because they are making parts and have vendors that do that for them.

My problem is thier vendors don't know thier ass from a hole in the ground. Try getting a straight answer from autoworld about what starter, flywheel, clutch, etc the adapters use and you'll see right away these guys have no interest in understanding the product they sell or customer service. Destroked website says bolts are included in an adapter package, then the stuff shows up from autoworld and there aren't any bolts. This is a little frustrating with the ZF6 adapter that requires 1/2" longer than stock flywheel bolts.

Maybe it's just me, but for a very custom product like these adapter plates I would feel a lot better if I could talk to someone that can tell me the ins and outs of the $1000 10 pound chunk of aluminum before I have to buy it and figure this stuff out for myself, find out there are additional parts needed which means more work for me.

I'm actually quite fine with the price. I think it's fair. For the quantity they're making and the quality of the part I think it's in line. In the grand scheme of things, a $1000 adapter is a small fraction of a $15K repower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Somewhat OT but I'm doing the welding for our Baja Car this year. Going to competition in Montreal?

Yea, fair haul but our team didn't want to do the rock crawl or a water event so we picked montreal, plus we get more time to tweak it that way ;) . I get to weld alot of ours as well lol.

More toward the topic, I was going to pull my sae#3 housing off and dimension the mount to the block.... if we were to get an investment casting going what flexplate would people prefer to use? and what transmision? all my stuff is chevrolet which is what I'd like to investigate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That has already been done in a slightly different version by our member Amwise on here:
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2050

Those stripped threads are probably the results of a depot mechanic replacing a clutch or transmission and over torquing the bolts. Granted some are found in this condition.

His adapter is far more expensive than destrokes. He is asking $1150 for his and destroked is asking $795. http://www.destroked.com/parts.shtml

averagef250, I think the problem that you had was that you dealt with Auto World. They have earned a poor reputation for a reason.

DragonsBane, Check out my website, I know a thing or two about machining. I don't think he plopped down a chunk of 6061 on the bed of a Bridgeport and started cuttin' away. He obviously drew them in a cad program, probably Solidworks, and cut them in a CNC mill/lathe.

You are right. Destroked could lower the spindal speed and feed rate when cutting his parts. The problem with that is it would take more time to cut the part, and that means the part would cost more money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts