Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the title states I'm looking for information on how to do a 6.2 diesel swap into a wagoneer. Any and all help will be highly appreciated .

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Find a suitable trans/transfer case that fits your needs and stick it in there, hook up fuel, water, electricity, etc., go. Make sure to research which 6.2 or 6.5 would be best, don't just put one in there because you came across one.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Find a suitable trans/transfer case that fits your needs and stick it in there, hook up fuel, water, electricity, etc., go. Make sure to research which 6.2 or 6.5 would be best, don't just put one in there because you came across one.

Ed

The information in trying to find is which transfer cases work on there . I've been told the factory one will bolt right up but for on what I've read I cannot determine that . I've done countless swaps to trucks and cars but never to this vehicle . I'm looking for a " how to " , I'm sure someone in here has done one and can point me in the right direction .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Go to thedieselpageforums.com and do a search. There have been a least a couple on there. Here's one I found:http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=40571&highlight=wagoneer

Since the 6.2/6.5 mounts the same as a Chevy V8, you could use the available adapters for mounting a Chevy V8 to the Jeep trans. Motor mount kits, Chevy V8 conversion radiators are also available. Check out novak conversions and advanced adapters.

Hope that helps.

Joe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I were to do a swap like this, this is probably the way I'd go. Get yourself a later model 6.2L or 6.5L diesel. I understand the later versions are better and you can tell the difference by the belt. You want the ones that come with the serpentine belt and not the ones that come with V-belts.

Ok, where things become complicated with this swap, is the Wagoneer part of the equation. You didn't mention which year Wagoneer you will be using and it does make a difference. Wagoneers built before 79, had a Dana 44 front axles that had a passenger side differential. Now considering that many older GM trucks also used a Dana 44 front axle with passenger side differential, means you could probably use a complete GM drivetrain.

In 1980, the Wagoneer's front axle differential switched from the passenger side to a driver's side, which now means you'll need to use a transfer case with a driver's side drop, to match it. Now, the Hummer H1 and later GM trucks did come with a transfer case with a driver's side drop. So you could once again use a GM drivetrain with the Wagoneer's front axle.

Where things can get a bit fuzzy is getting it all to come together. GM for one had some overlapping years where they were still producing the older square body trucks alongside the newer rounded body trucks. The older design still used the passenger side t-case drop and differential, while the newer design used the driver's side drop and an all new IFS front axle. In relation to the 6.2L and 6.5L diesel, you do have a few good years of trucks to pick from for the right drivetrain, with the newest models offering an overdrive transmission with the drop offered on either side.

Now of course, if you end up with a mismatch in drop, you could swap the front axle. Wagoneers came with either left or right side axle differentials, (depending on model year) so that if your t-case had a drop on one side but the axle has the diff on the other side, you could find the correct differential side within the Jeep family and change it easily. There were a few Wagoneers that were equipped with GM transmissions from the factory, particularly the TH400 back in the 70s. I'm not totally familiar with this transmission and if it can be mounted to a 6.2/6.5, but if it can, it becomes a viable option. Most of the later transmissions offered however were Chrysler built, with a unique bell housing to fit the old AMC V8s so I won't actually suggest using a GM designed transmission that came on the Waggy.

So there you have it. Your best option is probably swap an entire GM drivetrain into the Wagoneer, matching the differential side, if possible using the appropriate GM t-case.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From my limited knowledge I'm pretty sure my Wagoneer has a th400 , it's an '88 with a super solid body . The motor was rebuilt and it appears the transmission and T-case was also rebuilt or changed because it looks clean and resealed - the shaft is on the drivers side . I'm a fabricator so moving mounts or making parts is not an issue , I've been making performance parts for imports and German cars for the last 15 years but I don't know crap about domestics ( I've turboed many , but don't know about swaps and what parts fit what ) . I was able to pick up a low mile 6.2 for next to nothing and I grabbed it without hesitation. I've read enough on the motor to know that I can change out the head gaskets and install some headstuds and I'll be just find . I've actually turboed a few NA 6.2 in the past and after reaching out to two of those guys I feel good about this project ( both of those where done over 8 years ago and have had zero issues of any sort ) . I'm new at this and want to learn as much as I can , as I said I know very little about domestics and all info you guys can send my way is highly appreciated. I plan to take clear pictures and good notes to make a source for the next guy .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like the easiest way would be to use a Chevy V8 adapter to the Jeep trans. Sure it's not a TF 727? Advance adapters shows kit 716131-A for Chevy to the TF. If it is a TH400 it may have a multi-pattern bellhousing - I know some have both Chevy and B-O-P patterns. Not sure what version was used in Jeeps, it may have been unique.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
... Sure it's not a TF 727? Advance adapters shows kit 716131-A for Chevy to the TF...
A quick word of caution, the TF 727 was made with several bellhousing patterns that do NOT interchange. Off the top of my head:

1. Mopar small block (up to 360 CID)
2. Mopar big block (common in RV chassis)
3. AMC - You will have to do your own research
4. IH V-8 up to 392 CID - I had one in a 1975 Scout II - Note the diesel powered Scout II used a Nissan engine with an adapter to a Mopar big block TF 727
5. There may be others

1 - 8 of 8 Posts