Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.I'm new to ALL of this except the ranger. I'm really wanting to put a 4BT in a 98' ranger and I would love it if I could get a list of things to buy/put on my ranger. I haven't found anyone who knows how or even what I'm talking about in Oklahoma and it's driving me crazy. Thank you so much to whoever responds to this. I can use ANY and all the information you guys can throw at me and I will update as I buy and build the truck.:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi guys.I'm new to ALL of this except the ranger. I'm really wanting to put a 4BT in a 98' ranger and I would love it if I could get a list of things to buy/put on my ranger. I haven't found anyone who knows how or even what I'm talking about in Oklahoma and it's driving me crazy. Thank you so much to whoever responds to this. I can use ANY and all the information you guys can throw at me and I will update as I buy and build the truck.:)
is your truck 2wd or 4wd. 2wd is easier cause you dont have the front diff, but on my 99 that im doing it barely fits mines is 4wd and stock. for parts you need to decide on the trans, the 99-2002 f150 m5od r2 are the exact same dimensions as the stock ranger trans, but youll need the ford adapter for that trans.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
... the 99-2002 f150 m5od r2 are the exact same dimensions as the stock ranger trans, but youll need the ford adapter for that trans.
WARNING: The bellhousing bolt pattern and starter location is different, see post #8, in the following link, for a picture:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?10506-Russ-s-M5R2-thread

For a general reference on Ford bellhousing patterns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Later_Windsor_V8_pattern

Notes:

1. Most Cummins-to-Ford adapters were to replace the Ford 300 CID straight 6 cylinder engine. These adapters used the "Later Windsor V8 pattern"

2. I believe that the 1999-2002 F150 had the "Modular V8 pattern" engine. Spend some time researching before spending your dollars.

3. I am running a 4BT with the "Later Windsor V8 pattern" Cummins-to-Ford adapter. My M5R2 came from a 1997 F150 that had a "4.2L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (RWD only)". The bolt holes were metric and required a light clearance drilling with a 3/8 inch drill to use the bolt holes on my engine adapter.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
There was a detailed article in Diesel Power mag a few years ago,and there is a real good search feature,so give it a try.

·
Registered
160 Posts
WARNING: The bellhousing bolt pattern and starter location is different, see post #8, in the following link, for a picture:

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?10506-Russ-s-M5R2-thread

For a general reference on Ford bellhousing patterns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Later_Windsor_V8_pattern

Notes:

1. Most Cummins-to-Ford adapters were to replace the Ford 300 CID straight 6 cylinder engine. These adapters used the "Later Windsor V8 pattern"

2. I believe that the 1999-2002 F150 had the "Modular V8 pattern" engine. Spend some time researching before spending your dollars.

3. I am running a 4BT with the "Later Windsor V8 pattern" Cummins-to-Ford adapter. My M5R2 came from a 1997 F150 that had a "4.2L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (RWD only)". The bolt holes were metric and required a light clearance drilling with a 3/8 inch drill to use the bolt holes on my engine adapter.
i didnt know that thanks. i have the sbf adapter with a 2000 m5od r2 and it fits great

·
Registered
495 Posts
i didnt know that thanks. i have the sbf adapter with a 2000 m5od r2 and it fits great
and I had a MOD bellhousing and it fit like shyt! lol Make sure you get the correct bell house pattern...It still bolts up fine, but there are gaps near the starter and the side bolt holes need to be drilled out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had mine in a 2wd 98 ranger with 3:55 gears 5 speed and drove it for three years back and forth to work. 36-38 mpg. Pulled motor out and put it in a 96 f150 w/5 speed 4x4 and 3:08 gears. Driving it daily 75 miles a day. Trying to finish up my 01 Durango right now. 4bt's are great on fuel and turns lots of heads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is your truck 2wd or 4wd. 2wd is easier cause you dont have the front diff, but on my 99 that im doing it barely fits mines is 4wd and stock. for parts you need to decide on the trans, the 99-2002 f150 m5od r2 are the exact same dimensions as the stock ranger trans, but youll need the ford adapter for that trans.
It is 2wd. And I'm either going to use the 98' ranger that I do have, or I'm going to use a 95' super cab that I found. The 95' is a 2WD as well. I have decided on the m5r2 transmission but I thought it was bigger that the stock ranger tranny. The stock ranger transmission is an M5R1. Will an M5R1 fit the 4bt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So I should just go off of exactly what you did? If so, thank you because that will save me a bunch of time and money!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had mine in a 2wd 98 ranger with 3:55 gears 5 speed and drove it for three years back and forth to work. 36-38 mpg. Pulled motor out and put it in a 96 f150 w/5 speed 4x4 and 3:08 gears. Driving it daily 75 miles a day. Trying to finish up my 01 Durango right now. 4bt's are great on fuel and turns lots of heads.
This will sound stupid, but what do you mean when you say, 3:55 gears and 3:08 gears?

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is 2wd. And I'm either going to use the 98' ranger that I do have, or I'm going to use a 95' super cab that I found. The 95' is a 2WD as well. I have decided on the m5r2 transmission but I thought it was bigger that the stock ranger tranny. The stock ranger transmission is an M5R1. Will an M5R1 fit the 4bt?
its is bigger but the length is the same and the shifter is in the same spot on the newer ones the older ones the shifter is closer to the dash and you have to cut the floor for it to fit. the m5od r1 is way to small of bell housing to fit and it would probably tear apart real fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its is bigger but the length is the same and the shifter is in the same spot on the newer ones the older ones the shifter is closer to the dash and you have to cut the floor for it to fit. the m5od r1 is way to small of bell housing to fit and it would probably tear apart real fast.
Okay thanks! I'll try to buy a newer one then for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts