Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of how to mount a air to air CAC in the front of my Scout, because I didn't leave room for it in the initial design, it was going to be a tight fit. At lunch the other day while surfing the news I ended up here:
http://www.internationaltrucks.com/Static Files/MaxxForce Engines/MaxxForce11.pdf
I notice the twin turbo's and then the twin WCCAC! On these two engines, the 11 litre and the 13 litre, there not using any air to air CAC, only water cooled charge air coolers! Intresting? That got my attention and google'd WCCAC and found this:
http://emp-corp.com/media/SAEPapers/2004-01-2614.pdf
It's a SAE paper about WCCAC on a Cummins N14. If I read it correctly they used two WCCAC's, the first WCCAC uses the engine coolent and the second WCCAC uses it's own water supply and pump along with a microprocessor to to controll and maintain the charge air temp.
I've measured over 4" clearance between the hood and the valve covers on my Scout, enough for a WCCAC I think. I was going to use a custom built Air to Air CAC, but now it water cooling all the way.
What do you think?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go with the water. If space up front is an issue, you could plumb it to a radiator in back.

Things to consider:
air flow direction, versus water flow direction, my opinion is that they should be in opposite directions, to that the coolest water is seen by the air just before in enters the engine.

capacity - how much do you need. A dragster running max boost for 15 seconds or less does not need much. A truck hauling horses up I-80 from Sacramento needs a huge amount. Most typical users are somewhere in between. A water temperature guage will help you decide.

Pressurization - does not hurt in the design of the system, even if later you decide it is not needed. Going the other way is a start over.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm really impressed that this system is not just for generators and race trucks anymore.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go with the water. If space up front is an issue, you could plumb it to a radiator in back.
Recently helped build a similar set-up......the cooler used is a rear heater unit from an old school bus.
It is kind of heavy, but is compact and has a built in 12 volt fan.
Looks factory, too.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts