Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting. Hope to have more.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good info/sources for water injection, install, setup, tweaking, etc etc. I want to do a setup on the project I am having done for me. I figure my mileage may not be to good in a 2500 burb w/33's and 6" lift, so I want to drive long enough to have fuel mileage specs, and then play w/the water injection system to hopefully put me into the 30+mpg catagory. Any ideas, pros or con will be great.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Water injection is something used in high performance applications to drop insanely high intake temperatures.

For it to work you've gotta have intake temps above the boiling point of water at the intake pressure. At 15psi boost that's around 120 deg C.
You can't use an intercooler or you'll drop the charge temps and water will condense out to liquid. If your engine ingests liquid water then it will die.

In short it's not a practical or sensible solution for a street driven vehicle. An air/air intercooler is a solution that works very well. It can deliver cooler and denser air to your engine without the danger of hydraulicly locking it. It also delivers better efficiency and doesn't have a tank which needs refilled.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Maybe intercooling and propane injection are better possibilities? Propane injection can supposedly make for some wicked efficiency because it can combine with air better than diesel can and make for a very clean burn...

·
Registered
335 Posts
best bang for the buck

Sorry, but I have never herd of not being able to run an intercooler. We are running water and water/meth on several trucks running intercoolers that are almost stock all the way to 800+ HP "high performance", and on a gas motor or two. They all have some kind of electronic control, or hobs switch to bring on the pump at a boost pressure that is adjustable. It is a very small amount of water, and unless the motor is running and at set boost it wont be adding water and cant hydrolock. Unless you know what you are doing I wouldnt try to make a kit, even though they are easy enough to put toghther. It has been a real kick in the pants, and has improved egts a couple hundred degrees with more power. Guys are using strait water, windsheld washer fluid (winter blend is the best), and mixing there own ratios to about 50/50 but that is pushing it a little. The high pressure pump with the tiny orfice makes a super fine mist that is shot right in the intake elbow. I can see your point on the intercooler if you were injecting it pre intercooler, but not after. If you are driving around like an old man, and never get into boost, then it would be a waist. but above 15 psi it works great and only comes on when you need it. Snows kits are the most popular, and have alot of good info on there site....my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you are injecting pre intercooler correct? I have heard that works well, warm moist air cools better than warm dry air. As I understand it, the moisture once in the block will actually raise compression = more power. Please correct if I am misunderstanding. I am not familiar with snow kits, have heard of them on this forum and that was a first. Will check them out. I will definitely be into the boost the way I drive. I am hoping for 40+psi and will use it.

Propane will be the next step, water, being free, was the most logical start. Thanks a lot for the input. Will be at least a month before the truck is ready to drive. Let the experimenting begin.

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
I can see your point on the intercooler if you were injecting it pre intercooler, but not after.
If your charge temps after the intercooler are hot enough for water injection, then your intercooler probably isn't working very well.

Either way, water injection is only useful in a performance application, it won't improve your efficiency, neither will propane injection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts