Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Rust: valves, valve guides, valve seats, wristpin circlips, wristpins, rods, cranks and lots of little stuff to rust even on an 'all aluminum' engines.

One of the main problems with ethanol is that it has the capacity to, and WILL, absorb up to 50% of its volume in H2O. So 20% by volume ethanol [and ya know they gotta be fudging on %'s] absorbs 10% water, and a bit more water by condensation in fuel tank sloshing around to mix in = fuel that's maybe, maybe 60% 'reformulated' gasoline! That's not even counting 'Cleaning' additives etc.

When my truck was still a gasser, over a year after ethanol was slowly added to gas & it was 'Reformulated' in California, I got the real truth. Had to be somewhere important early in the morning, gas station too far away, so I fueled up from my neighbor's farm tank, that had been filled a couple of years before with Regular, not even high-test Suprme. Back then gasoline would 'keep' withhout going sour from evaporation etc.

The next morning I fired up my truck & headed out and when I hit the main roads WOW! It felt like somebody had bolted on a supercharger! At LEAST 25% more power. There was nothing added to that farm tank fuel, just the straight stuff right off the cracking column, and man, what a huge difference!

Now there's nothing available to compare to so folks are just happy idiots paying ridiculous prices for 50% gasoline, thinking that's as good as it gets.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
One of the main problems with ethanol is that it has the capacity to, and WILL, absorb up to 50% of its volume in H2O. So 20% by volume ethanol [and ya know they gotta be fudging on %'s] absorbs 10% water, and a bit more water by condensation in fuel tank sloshing around to mix in = fuel that's maybe, maybe 60% 'reformulated' gasoline! That's not even counting 'Cleaning' additives etc.
i was considering the ethanol to blend with water as an alternative to the water/meth injection, not to blend in the tank... btw i have already seen some refueling stations blending ethanol in the diesel as a stabilizer to the residual water blend with the diesel...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
"btw i have already seen some refueling stations blending ethanol in the diesel as a stabilizer to the residual water blend with the diesel... "

Great, I probably could have gotten along well for about 20 more years never hearing that....

One thing's sure: 'They' have to come up with a way to de-stabilize diesel fuel so it loses all its long term storage capability! That way every single one of us is totally at their mercy, having to pay whatever the latest fuel prices are. It's an absolute sure thing this will happen, and you've seen the first steps in that direction.

Now would be a very good time to invest in a nice 10,000 gallon underground tank, & fill it to the brim. In the future, not that far away, you'd either end up with a load of cheap fuel to drive on for quite a while, or be able to sell 'black market' at 5 to 10 times what you paid for it.

Nice thing is, there's some really cheap poly tanks available now, which I think are diesel proof.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Conspiracy theories aside, we don't have ethanol in fuel here but the equivalent vehicles sold in the US get higher fuel economy than we can.

In 2003 I was in the states and borrowed a subaru to drive from San Fran to Lake Tahoe. Averaged 12 km/l which is more than any petrol subaru owner here can do.

140 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
"btw i have already seen some refueling stations blending ethanol in the diesel as a stabilizer to the residual water blend with the diesel... "

Great, I probably could have gotten along well for about 20 more years never hearing that....
take it easy, i have seen it only in south america... in the u.s. the diesel fuel have a too much better quality...

One thing's sure: 'They' have to come up with a way to de-stabilize diesel fuel so it loses all its long term storage capability! That way every single one of us is totally at their mercy, having to pay whatever the latest fuel prices are. It's an absolute sure thing this will happen, and you've seen the first steps in that direction.

Now would be a very good time to invest in a nice 10,000 gallon underground tank, & fill it to the brim. In the future, not that far away, you'd either end up with a load of cheap fuel to drive on for quite a while, or be able to sell 'black market' at 5 to 10 times what you paid for it.

Nice thing is, there's some really cheap poly tanks available now, which I think are diesel proof.
polyethilene? it's already what almost every new vehicle's tank is made of, so it's diesel-proof for sure...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Conspiracy theories aside, we don't have ethanol in fuel here but the equivalent vehicles sold in the US get higher fuel economy than we can.

In 2003 I was in the states and borrowed a subaru to drive from San Fran to Lake Tahoe. Averaged 12 km/l which is more than any petrol subaru owner here can do.
12km/l with a 2.0L non-turbo impreza? man, even with brazilian gasoline that is worse than the gasoline avaliable in some african countries it's easily doable, i have even seen some getting highway 15km/l, about 10km/l in city... what's wrong with new-zealander fuel???

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
12km/l with a 2.0L non-turbo impreza? man, even with brazilian gasoline that is worse than the gasoline avaliable in some african countries it's easily doable, i have even seen some getting highway 15km/l, about 10km/l in city... what's wrong with new-zealander fuel???
It was a legacy, the impreza's get worse economy here as they are lower geared.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This has been dead for a long time now, but figured it would be a decent idea to try and find out some LONG term results from those whom might of tried out a kit or two, besides Khaos atleast, joking!

·
Registered
785 Posts
So I read the whole thing. Several people said that they would have a opprable system within a short time. That was five years ago. How come they haven't updated? Sounds like snake oil.

·
Registered
681 Posts
So I read the whole thing. Several people said that they would have a opprable system within a short time. That was five years ago. How come they haven't updated? Sounds like snake oil.
I know, I hear that and I wish others would of posted what they got on their setups and how effective it is etc. I want to know to.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wonder if since we got the turbo sizing sorted out, people aren't having problems with low power or high EGT anymore.
like Nitrous, water/meth really isnt all that good in a DD unless there is racing/sled pulling involved. If I had it on my rig it wouldn't be on unless I was having some fun. either can be used up extremely in a dd setting. My buddy had Nitrous on his v-10 dodge and every few day's he would be out.

-vr4oaks

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I wonder if since we got the turbo sizing sorted out, people aren't having problems with low power or high EGT anymore.
some folks looking at water/meth as a "magic" solution to solve that issue wouldn't be really happy in the long term having to blow money on methanol...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Can get windshield fluid for cheap really. Devils own sells 4 gallons of 50 50 for like 25 bucks, SnowP sells it for about 36, tad overkill.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
The few people I've found running water/meth with significant EGT depression were running about 300cc/min. So a 5 minute hill will chew through 1.5 litres.

The 4 US gallons would be eaten in 50 minutes of high load.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The few people I've found running water/meth with significant EGT depression were running about 300cc/min. So a 5 minute hill will chew through 1.5 litres.

The 4 US gallons would be eaten in 50 minutes of high load.
Sounds like they were doing some pretty insane stuff, normal guy i dont think would need such an insane amount.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
Sounds like they were doing some pretty insane stuff, normal guy i dont think would need such an insane amount.
That was the amount they needed to make any significant difference.
300cc/min is about 1/25th of the mass air flow on a 4 litre diesel at 20psi 2000rpm and no intercooler.

I'm not aware of any studies on what ratios you need to compare this to.

·
Registered
168 Posts
we run water injection at Bonneville but it wouldn't be anything to run on a daily driver.... it works extremely well....would be willing to discuss, but not on public forum... seems to be a lot of people that know about everything...but base the info in estimates... we base all of ours on Dyno results and Bonneville.. Mallo

·
Registered
681 Posts
So far all this thread has gotten is hear say , not one bit of truth, no dyno sheets, no video showing people running it nothing. Aside from mallo and Dougal, nobody has brought useful knowledge to the table, if I run wm, I plan to do videos on it so there can be some form of actual information for others.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts