Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed a massive leak under my truck as I pulled in to work. I haven't looked under the hood since it was raining, but will look at it during lunch. Does anyone know if the 6BT water pumps are the same as the 4BT ones? Anyone have part numbers for it? I need to call around and find one just in case it's the pump.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mine leaked once becuse I didnt tighten it back on.... a 10mm wrench and 20 seconds and presto. I would start there.

I believe the water pumps interchange but Ill thet the higher ups here answer that

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Cummins PArts Catalog for 4BT3.9 lists the following for Water Pumps and its a little confusing;

Under Part Number there are two numbers 3802004 & 3913432 it does not explain why 2 numbers.

In the remarks column;
Engine Water Pump Assembly with standard pulley P/N 3903297, O ring seal is interchangable with P/N 3906698

Best I can do with this parts book. I am as confused as you probably are.

Paul

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
If it helps..

3802004 crosses to a NWP 557145 in NAPA numbers.

3913432 crosses to a TFP 41181 in NAPA numbers.

Both are listing as new pumps, just different product lines. I couldn't get the 3903297 to cross.

Checking application guide gives BOTH listed as appropriate for a 91 Dodge D250 w/ 5.9 Cummins turbo.

Application guide also lists a WP 58375 as a reman pump for same.

Soo... From that standpoint it looks like 4BT and 6BT use the same water pump.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet..that means it's cheap.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly....the price difference on the auto belt tensioner was 2X between a cummins one and a Napa one for the dodge 6BT.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Hahaha....well, as cheap as "auto parts store" versus "must buy from Cummins" goes!
~$50 for the water pump (I checked prices at AutoZone and O'Reily to compare, and it's about the same) isn't too bad. And, unless there's a "gotcha" that's not readily apparent, the thing looks to be about the simplest swap I've ever seen on a water pump.

Has Cummins gone national with their new "Parts Purchaser Comfort" campaign yet? It's a combination of a heavily padded floor and blister packs of personal lubricant in a dispenser at the door..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
~$50 for the water pump (I checked prices at AutoZone and O'Reily to compare, and it's about the same) isn't too bad. And, unless there's a "gotcha" that's not readily apparent, the thing looks to be about the simplest swap I've ever seen on a water pump.

Has Cummins gone national with their new "Parts Purchaser Comfort" campaign yet? It's a combination of a heavily padded floor and blister packs of personal lubricant in a dispenser at the door..
That's too damn funny....

Well, I finally got to pop the hood and found that the water pump is not leaking, but the leak is originating between the thermostat housing/engine block interface. Is the gasket kits the same as the 6BTs??

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
machman;11680 Has Cummins gone national with their new "Parts Purchaser Comfort" campaign yet? It's a combination of a heavily padded floor and blister packs of personal lubricant in a dispenser at the door..[/QUOTE said:
Priceless, machman, hilarious, thanks...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, so a 58375 that fits a 1992 5.9 will fit our 4BT's?

I searched FAQ for water pump and came up with nothing, figured this would a active topic, unless mine is the only one leaking.

BTW, I did post previously about the thermostat, turned out to just be low coolant level, haha.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I put a napa water pump on my 4bt. Looked up the application as 92 Dodge D250 diesel.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ok, so a 58375 that fits a 1992 5.9 will fit our 4BT's?
I bought a new 6BT Dodge water pump on eBay as a spare for $25 in 2008 and tossed it behind the seat in the truck.

Forgot about it until two years later, the one on my 4BT had a bearing go bad.
Glad I had a spare - it was an exact swap. I re-used the o-ring with silicone sealer.

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
I don't think you'll find the parts for a self rebuild. The water pump is probably one of the least expensive parts on these engines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts