Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a watson 42m1 auxiliary trans Does anyone have any kind of information on it. Gear ratios would be nice. And if parts are still available for it. Thankyou.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
I had posted info on the Watson model 42 about a year ago. Gear ratios show to be 1.49, 1.00, and .83. Weighs 130 lbs, holds 2 quarts of oil. I believe Watson was acquired by Brown Lipe which was acquired by Dana Spicer.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Watsons are generally lighter than Brownies, and appear to not be as strong, however saw one in a pickup behind 6bt, been in there for awhile.
No Watson parts are available. 5xxx and 6xxx Brownies handle most 6bt’s well, they are purported to able to handle engine torque of 5000 and 6000 lb. ft., respectively. 7xxx are too large for most of our applications.

If you do not have park brakes on the rear axle, Brownies came with Tru-stop disc brakes integral on the rear. With the advent of ‘spring brakes’ many have been disabled, so inspect carefully. Pads can be relined by a place in Denver.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Ed, for what it's worth, the sheet I saw on the model 42 specs said it was rated for vehicles up to 48,000 lbs GVW.. Would need to be pretty darn strong to carry that kind of rating.

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
Watsons I have are about same size as a 5531/5831 brownies. The 43M has a .7 OD. The 5000 brownies with no letter or a vowel are the deeper od's(.7X). The B/C/D are .86. The 6000s are a little larger but the 6231 has a desirable .69 OD. No parts but I pick up whatever I can find just to have future parts. Mostly now Brown Lipe. What parts are you looking for?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watsons I have are about same size as a 5531/5831 brownies. The 43M has a .7 OD. The 5000 brownies with no letter or a vowel are the deeper od's(.7X). The B/C/D are .86. The 6000s are a little larger but the 6231 has a desirable .69 OD. No parts but I pick up whatever I can find just to have future parts. Mostly now Brown Lipe. What parts are you looking for?
Looking for a od auxiliary. Also might me able to get my hands on a 6231b. Not finding much info on that either. Other than od might be .86. And found some info saying that a 6231c might be a .60 od. Is it possible to switch gears from the 6231c into a B.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a 6231 with integral Tru-stop disc brake in my ‘37 GMC behind a RTO-610 and 4-53T. Found a spare one.

Ed in CO

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
Havent ever come across anything higher geared than .69 in 5/6/7/8000 series in person or in literature. Bad about the 6 series is shafts are 1-1/2" 6 spline. If they dont come with the yokes/flanges they are hard to impossible to find. Northern Drivetrain, LLC helps. May be possible as long as gearsets stay together, not sure havent tried.

Reactions: Jakediesel06

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
6/7/8s on epay. No 5000series

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone tries buy gears or collars for these transmission or what are guys doing if they can’t find gears or collars ?

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
This should have been in 4BT archives................I'll add.........Watson's are tough, Spicer's are tough..............unless you're plain abusive .- Neodan

Agreed and nice find. Havent seen this one before.

Reactions: Jakediesel06
1 - 19 of 19 Posts