Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- first post- I have a 1966 Ford Econline Pick Up that I want to put a diesel in- I would like to use the 4BT and a C-6 auto in it- can anyone tell me how much the engine weighs? I had a 240/auto combo in it orginally and that's a pretty darn heavy engine, so I thought the 4BT would not add a lot of weght- am I thinking all wrong?
thanks for the site- lots of good info for a newbie
thanks again
Nohair (really!)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I pulled a complete, all-cast-iron-everything 400M out and dropped the 4BT in and my front end sits a little lower now, maybe 1/2" - 3/4" or so. (I didn't measure before and after). My truck was level before, but it is now quite noticably lower in front.

Judging by the amount of effort needed to move around the 400M and also the 4BT with the cherry picker, it is about 100 lbs or so heavier than a 400M. I have heard some folks say it weighs about the same as a all-cast-iron 460, I can believe that.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey, great link, Bob, and pretty darned accurate!

·
Registered
854 Posts
4BT's lighter than a 460.
Yup, according to the list that BobS posted, it is just 15 lbs lighter than a 460. But since the 4BT holds more coolant and oil it evens it out! :D

That list was very interesting, I estimated the 4BT3.9 about 100 lbs heavier than my 400M and that was about right.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
You have to sorta watch those weights in that chart. As an example there is the possibility to erroneously compare a dry weight of one engine with a running weight of a different engine. Then with the V8's there are variables such as aluminum heads and intakes and early castings with later weight saving versions. I think it is a good fast general reference with probably a tolerance of about +/- fifty to a hundred pounds. It's just a good starting point for estimating weights and required spring capacities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply's - as always good info- I think that the V-8 comparisons are good and the 240/300 Ford weigh close to the 400 so I think that I can use the 4bt with the trans and not have to add spring right away and see how if works out-
thanks again
Nohair

1 - 11 of 11 Posts