Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- First question- I have had no luck if finding the weight of a 4BT- I have a 1966 Ford Econline PU that had a 240/auto trans orginaly and I want to use a 4BT and auto for a repower- anyone had any experience with a repower into a early Ford van? I would use a engine and trans complete(diesel)
thanks
Nohair

·
Registered
808 Posts
From the Cummins Shop Manual
Section E- Engine Identification
Page E-5
Engine weight
Dry, less flywheel and electrical components

4B3.9, 679 pounds 4BT3.9, 705 pounds 4BTA3.9, 725 pounds

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
oops, sorry Paul I had too much on my mind when I asked that.
Dont worry about it ha ha. I jsut finished emailing a friend discussing the various combinations of Transmissions etc, etc, for a swap. I think I need Prozac after that long email ha ha ha

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gear boxes / bellhousing

Paul,
I am looking for some advice regarding a swap. My project will be a TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ 60 1985 TO 1987.
I want to use the NV4500 HD and the original transfer case that comes with the gas engine. I have no idea what kind of bellhousing to use from the 4bt to the transmision. I have some mechanical experience but I am new to a diesel swap.
Any recomendations will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
808 Posts
Paul,
I am looking for some advice regarding a swap. My project will be a TOYOTA LAND CRUISER FJ 60 1985 TO 1987.
I want to use the NV4500 HD and the original transfer case that comes with the gas engine. I have no idea what kind of bellhousing to use from the 4bt to the transmision. I have some mechanical experience but I am new to a diesel swap.
Thanks,
Ed
Ed, I am a little confused.

" I want to use a NV-4500hd and the original transfer case that comes with the gas engine"

What transfer case, what gas engine ? If your talking a Toyota Transfer case, I have no idea. I totally use NP-205 T cases. I dont have a working knowledge with other T Cases.

Bell Housing;
If your using a Dodge NV-4500hd or NV-4500 then you need a Cummins / Dodge Flywheel Housing Adapter, Clutch and Bell House from a Dodge Diesel that had the NV-4500hd. Or go to Advance Adapters, they have adapters and BH's. Dont know if Advanced Adapters makes a Cummins Adapter.

There is a lot to talk about here, to much to pound on a keyboard. We would do better with a phone call. Send me a PM and we can set up a time for a phone call and talk about what you want to do and how your going to get there.

Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think they make an adapter for the NV4500 to Toyota T-case - Andre probably knows the model #. As for your bellhousing, you'll probably want an NV4500 with the dodge input shaft and dodge adapter/starter for the engine. As for output shaft on the transmission, you'll have to look that one up for the Yota T-case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about sticking with the h55f ? they weren't too bad. and it's already in there. a chevy or sbf bellhousing wouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Paul,
Thanks,
Ed
Another good source to chat with would be profit's cruisers. They've done a couple of 4500s with the splitcase. http://www.proffittscruisers.com/index.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
gear box bellhousing

Guys first of all thanks for all the responses.
Anyway going back to the project.
Paul: Toyota transfer cases are pretty good, I will not compare them with NPs but will do the job, plus what I am looking for is try to keep the drive train close to stock. One of the reasons is to save money an keep it simple.
In the USA market all the FJ 60s came with a 4 speed gear box, the HF 55 is the five speed version that you can buy from the Land Cruiser part providers like Specter Off Road.
If you already have the 5 speed version (HF 55) installed you could keep it, has a shorter 1st gear and a nice 5 OD.
It is cheaper to buy a NV4500 than a HF55.
The idea is to put the package together for about 10K or less if possible. More than that I would probably rethink the whole project and go another route.
Anyway the first step is to get a bread van here in California and also have to find out with the DMV if I can still do the swap, untill some time ago was possible but things are changing and I don't want to get in any legal battle.
Worse case scenario once I have the engine / gear box together If I am not able to legally go for a newer vehicle, I may have to pick an older 1974 truck and not have any worrys.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i didn't realise the hf55 was so dear. they are everywhere here. you can buy a usable one with transfer for around 600 dollars ( $50 us:rasta: ). tell you what, you get 10 zf 5 speeds together, and i'll get 10 hf 55's and we'll swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ed2003

This link may give you some info about what others in CA. have done for gas to diesel conversions as far as DMV, CARB, and other smog related issues.

I've done a fuel injected 350 chevy to a an S15 4x4 and the inspection wasn't bad. Took about an hour at a CARB inspection station and they put a metal sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

Some of the guy's on this link may give you some current info on the CA diesel conversion DMV/CARB requirements.

http://www.toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824&page=4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts