Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who is into the Isuzu 4BD swaps probably knows Dougal's handle from the various different threads.. Dougal, our friend down under (who has a 4BD in a Rover, correct?), is very active and really knows his stuff with the 4BDs. I was hoping that he could help build this section to be the comprehensive information source for Isuzu 4BD swaps so anyone out there on the net can get info here. Currently there is only one company making the adapters to GM drivetrains, but this may change and/or people might swap these more often...

Anyway, welcome Dougal.. If I could talk you into introducing yourself and maybe posting up some pics? Cheers, Andre

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Congratulations Dougal,

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes I've got a 4BD1T and matching gearbox in a rangerover, I've also been (un)lucky enough to have been inside this engine many times so I can attest to knowing much of it inside and out.

In my spare time I've been building a 3D cad model of the engine and associated parts. I use solidworks 2007 and will hopefully with Bram setting up an FTP server be able to provide these models (and those contributed by others) for download.

I continue to spend a lot of time experimenting with the turbos on this engine, so hopefully the lessons I learn will be useful to others here too.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey, great idea, Andre, but how are we going to understand him with that NZ accent!?? Maybe you could install a translator, or a section on 'NZ Jive Talk' or sumpin?

Seriously, the BEST MAN FOR THE JOB! Congrats and welcome.

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
Hey, great idea, Andre, but how are we going to understand him with that NZ accent!?? Maybe you could install a translator, or a section on 'NZ Jive Talk' or sumpin?

Seriously, the BEST MAN FOR THE JOB! Congrats and welcome.
You do know our engines down here turn the other way?:D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
LOL you also drive on the wrong side. Congratulations Dougal, you always answer with good information. :beer:
And I'll second that!! Here, here! But you know, I've always wondered: where was Old Zealand?!

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
And I'll second that!! Here, here! But you know, I've always wondered: where was Old Zealand?!
Aha, old Zeeland is the land of cheese and windmills. Somewhere along the line the spelling got changed.
Named of course by a Dutchman, Abel Tasman.
But he was too chicken to actually stay and visit the natives, it took some tea mad englishmen to do that some time later.:D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Most interesting! Now that I am somewhat of an historical item myself I find these things of history to be fascinating. I've long admired New Zealanders for their cleverness, strength, endurance, tenacity and independence, and now I know how it came about. It's all in the genes.... :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
hey, Dougal, wise us up: what kind of vehicles does a guy commonly see in New Zealand? I mean like cool trucks or cars that aren't found elsewhere? Holdens? Are there many swappers or hotrodders?

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
hey, Dougal, wise us up: what kind of vehicles does a guy commonly see in New Zealand? I mean like cool trucks or cars that aren't found elsewhere? Holdens? Are there many swappers or hotrodders?
We get a decent range.
By far the majority are japanese vans, utes (pickups) and sedans. Just like the Russians we have a habit of buying used vehicles out of japan, shipping them over here and driving them till the wheels fall off.
Out of japan comes a whole slew of high performance cars that the average ricer would kill for. Nissan skylines are a dime a dozen, as are Subaru WRX's, Suburu RS cars (twin turbo) even Mazda and mitsubishi have pumped out turbocharged cars for years.

We get the aussie tanks too, Holden (GM) and Ford with their large cars for some strange reason dominate the new car sales. I suspect the police force and other fleet buyers are solely responsible for this.

The commerical and light industrial range is all japanese. Biggest selling ute is the Toyota Hilux (Toyota pickup in the US), biggest selling van is the Toyota Hiace. Both of these are much smaller than the average US pickup or van.

Our roads here are full of corners so the US vehicles don't fare so well. We see the occasional US vehicle, jeep would have the biggest presence with a few Dodge Rams, PT Cruisers and 300C's rounding out the mix.

The offroad scene is pretty much Toyota, Nissan and landrover (rangerover). All offered with a slew of diesel engines that the US doesn't get.

European cars have always had a big presence here, secondary to the japanese and Australian but well ahead of the US vehicles. The euro's are only now offering their diesels in decent numbers with good takeup (>50% in volkswagon golf). Our diesel only became low sulphur a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Cool, Dougal, thanks for the great info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts