Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the posts on the mid mount motor mount thread I am planning to build motor mounts similar to Driverswanted's. It looks like a nice setup. I would like to build the A/C mount into the motor mount like he did. Belt spacing will be an issue I am sure. It would be nice if this could be slightly adjustable to get perfect belt alignment.The stock 4bt water outlet doesn't work with A/C right? I saw 2 on flea-bay from Dodge setups. They have the A/C mounts built in. Can the lower section be cut off and used for this aplication? If I bought one of these Dodge water outlets it may help me locate the exact location of the a/c mount in relation to the motor mount holes.

Driverwanted, Is there a small spacer behind the rear part of the drivers side motor mount. The freeze plug sticks out slightly past the mounting surface on my block. I see the drivers side mount on your pattern photo covers the front of this freeze plug. It wouldn't pull up tight on my block with the freeze plug there. I could trim that freeze plug to flush and solve the problem or add a washer shim to the back of the bracket.

I am hoping to hear from [email protected] before making the isolator section of the mount. I would like to see his Ford motor mount setup also. Are there photos? What is the application and PN of the mounts?

Is the only A/C compressor that will work only available from the 5.9 Cummins?
Is there any other A/C compressor that bolts on like the 5.9 Cummins?
Is this the same compressor that Dodge runs on their gas motors?
On flea-bay it appears that the Blazer/Astro van compressor is similar and it is 1/2 the price new. I don't know if the line outlet would work on it though.
The Sanden compressors that we use on street rods have arms for brackets and pivots (similar to the old v belt alternator mounts). There is no through bolt bracketry on those. I would rather not have adjustability on the compressor for belt tension. I want the tensoner to do it's thing. I don't know what GM, Ford or the imports are using either. Any sugestions? If I buy a new one it probably doesn't matter which I use. If I could find a nice salvage yard part that could save some $$. Used 5.9 parts are not available here.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I wish i had thought of my motor mounts and A/C ahead of time. I designed my system utilizing the front motor mount and can't use the dodge stuff. I got the compressor and the mount though i'm not sure how i will end up mounting it. I still plan to use the compressor so it's not a total loss. I have a compressor from a 360 and it isn't the same. The lines hook up but the pully is 7 rib instead of 8.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,706 Posts
You mean like this. Driverswanted copied his from my original design.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You mean like this. Driverswanted copied his from my orginal design.
hmm, that's really slick. I am using the stock P30 mounts though at this point.
here's my motor mount setup:

The support that you can see is using the mounting hole for the engine mount so i don't think the compressor will fit in that space.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Yea, that's why I mounted mine where I did. These mounts will accomadate the Dodge starter motor on the left, 1st and second gen and also the GM starter motor on the right side.

Here's the same design using most of the original 4B stuff. You do have to change out the bottom water inlet.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Steve do you have any more info on that compressor, it is smaller and has different ports than the one I have off a mid 90's 6BT that has this annoying set of fitting on it that are Dodge specific. Those look like standard screw on fittings, any idea what it's off of or a part number? Cheers, Andre

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Steve was just taking a look at your pics again, I love that series of photos, such great work especially the hydraulic clutch master mod and the speed limit sign :D :beer:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/364...rides/cars&track_action=/MediaInfo/AlbumTitle

Anyway, did you ever find a common part number and/or length for that belt you are using? Also looks like it is working well with that design, is the alternator (or anything else) slipping with that belt routing? Here I was thinking that I was all creative with my belt routing when you have had yours the same for years.. I will need a slightly shorter one than yours as I'm reusing the Chevy alternator but same basic principle..

:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Steve do you have any more info on that compressor, it is smaller and has different ports than the one I have off a mid 90's 6BT that has this annoying set of fitting on it that are Dodge specific. Those look like standard screw on fittings, any idea what it's off of or a part number? Cheers, Andre
The compressor is a Sanden, with direct mounts and vertical fittings. The fittings are screw type with "O" rings. I don't see it currently listed on Sanden's web site, but it could be out of date. Mine is listed as type SD7H13 model SD7320. I think Sanden has standardized on the type SD7H15, a slightly larger displcemant. IF you look here for model 7822 at the bottom of the page, this one is as close as it gets. But it has the tab mounts. I've started looking at that model because it seems easier to get, most every one is going to the tab/ear mounts. Other brands of compressors are available as seltec
I talked with these people and seltec does make a direct mount. A bit cheaper too.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Steve was just taking a look at your pics again, I love that series of photos, such great work especially the hydraulic clutch master mod and the speed limit sign :D :beer:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/364...rides/cars&track_action=/MediaInfo/AlbumTitle

Anyway, did you ever find a common part number and/or length for that belt you are using? Also looks like it is working well with that design, is the alternator (or anything else) slipping with that belt routing? Here I was thinking that I was all creative with my belt routing when you have had yours the same for years.. I will need a slightly shorter one than yours as I'm reusing the Chevy alternator but same basic principle..

:beer:
I used a 94 Dodge CTD belt. The 94 and up is 81" and I added a custom bracked to space the alt out to get the right fit. There is a squeak when I turn the AC on but no noticable slip when running. Used it last year and didn't kill the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Here is the one I have, notice the fittings (or lack of - the holes) at the rear. There is a single fitting with hoses that plumbs into this port.. So, something closer to yours or the one you posted is more along the line of the ticket I was thinking..

Cheers Steve,
I'll see if I can dig up a good photo and/or part number somewhere..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...08&ih=008&category=20924&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I just realized I was slightly confused because of the two repowers with slightly different belt setups. Anyway, here is the one with the Dodge factory setup.. Interesting as well.. I imagine the same compressor for both models? When I am ready to order I imagine that Sanden number will probably work fine. Thanks again.. A

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
I just realized I was slightly confused because of the two repowers with slightly different belt setups. Anyway, here is the one with the Dodge factory setup.. Interesting as well.. I imagine the same compressor for both models? When I am ready to order I imagine that Sanden number will probably work fine. Thanks again.. A
Yes, I used the same compressor for both setups. I think that the direct mount is a "standard" because every manufacture wants you to put their product in the same spot as someone else product. The same should go for the ear/tab mounts.
I eventualy want to put the modified Dodge setup on the Scout, because of the squeak from the alternator. I don't know how the 4B setup will work if the alt was a 120 amp unit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What kind of lower radiator hoses is everyone using? Does the Dodge fit?

The more I learn the more I realize I need to learn. You guys are way ahead of me! My problem is I'm not just repowering. I'm building the whole truck.

I spent the evening tonight working on the bed and painting the turbo, air to intake tube, and inside of the wheels.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mean like this. Driverswanted copied his from my original design.
That's what I want. Why don't you make a jig and make several sets up. I'll take a set!

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
What kind of lower radiator hoses is everyone using? Does the Dodge fit?

The more I learn the more I realize I need to learn. You guys are way ahead of me! My problem is I'm not just repowering. I'm building the whole truck.

I spent the evening tonight working on the bed and painting the turbo, air to intake tube, and inside of the wheels.
If you use the side entrance for the lower hose a dodge will fit up to it. I used a 89-93 lower hose, because I know I can get them anywhere. After the Dodge hose it routed through home made coolent tubes, I used hard copper for that. The top is made up from two pieces, joined with a piece of hard copper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts