Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot on here and a little elsewhere about how bullet proof/torquey/fuel saving/reliable/simple/cool running/precise the 912 and 913 series deutz are. But I can't find much at all on 914s. I see from specs they're a little bigger with a little more power. But otherwise what are the differences? Are they as good? As in tough/reliable. Are they basically the same as a 913? Why does no one mention them? I saw a BF6L914 for sale and thought how nice that would be in my IH C1800 in place of the tired old 6354... How much power would it make in a truck?
I was thinking of a 6v53 but the F6L turbo deutz motors have my juices flowing more at the moment

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm it seems the deutZ section has slightly lower traffic levels...

From what I can tell (which is not much) the 914 is current and passes emissions testing. This is partly good as it is being made in Germany now. But also makes me suspicious, as it seems to meet today's emissions compremises are often made, complexities are added and you generally end up with a more fragile inferior engine than the "dirtier" one. Can anyone comment in this case?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Have you managed to wear out a 6.354 in a truck?:eek: That's impressive, she must have a pile of miles on it or have been lugging a lot of weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the 914 is basicly the same engine as the 913 but I has to ask a buddy of me . he is a deutz nerd .
Iwill come back on that

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you managed to wear out a 6.354 in a truck?:eek: That's impressive, she must have a pile of miles on it or have been lugging a lot of weight.
well I bought it and it was playing up - faltering at ~1800rpm. I'm pretty sure it's the pump or bronze pump drive gears (more likely as it's their weak point). Either way rather than spend a lot of time (precious) or money on fixing a very old (truck is 1969 and I assume it's the original motor), tired and fairly gutless engine, I thought I'd put something a bit more exciting in the old girl...

I think the 914 is basicly the same engine as the 913 but I has to ask a buddy of me . he is a deutz nerd .
Iwill come back on that
would love to know more because that sounds good! So maybe it's just an emission friendly altered 913... Pretty sure I saw displacement was slightly up though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haven't heard anything bad about them. As far as I know, they have 132mm stroke compared to 125 in the 913's ( 1.08 liter per cylinder ) They also have improved fuel injection systems, what made them pass the new emission regulations. Never seen a used one. Maybe little hard to find , as they are only build from 2002 on.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Are the 914's mechanical or electronic?

Its so rare to see an air cooled deutz around my area I didnt know they even existed until about 2 yrs ago.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't heard anything bad about them. As far as I know, they have 132mm stroke compared to 125 in the 913's ( 1.08 liter per cylinder ) They also have improved fuel injection systems, what made them pass the new emission regulations. Never seen a used one. Maybe little hard to find , as they are only build from 2002 on.
Do you know what's improved about the fuel system? Is it essentially the same? The specs say "in-line injection pump with me mechanical centrifugal governer" so no nasty evil electronics (thought they were the only option nowadays). Although electronic governer is listed as an option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry , can't really tell. We have a few Deutz Agrolux tractors in the area, but never looked at them close. As far as I know, they only met TIER ll regulations and that's why they were only a temporary solution. All the newer models now have liquid cooled engines to meet TIER lll. ( somebody please correct me ,if I am wrong )
I also don't know, what was changed on the fuel injection, but most likely not much. Maybe I get a chance to check it out the next time I am in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well thanks for he info, all in all it sounds like they're as safe a bet as a 913 then. Next question, and I have searched the forum fairly well, what are the differences between a turbo and non turbo 913/914? Is it just head gasket and injection timing? Can you just add a head gasket, change the timing and throw a turbo on safe in the knowledge the rest of it's built for a turbo?

Also, can 913/914s safely run at 2800rpm in a truck?

·
Registered
30 Posts
what are the differences between a turbo and non turbo 913/914?
Also, can 913/914s safely run at 2800rpm in a truck?

Like I said, the 914s are are a fairly new series and i have no personal experience.
I only have two turbocharged 913s in my fleet. One is a BF6L513R and the other one is a BF4L913. Even with both having piston cooling, the 4 cyl. can get too warm, when you'r pushing it.
If you'r talking about adding a turbo on a non turbo engine , I hope somebody more knowledgeable will chim in. No T---ech here just T like Tinkerer !!!

2800 rpm seems kinda high. I know they crank them up to 2500 - 2600 rpm in the combines. 2800 will be pretty noisy for sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2800 rpm seems kinda high. I know they crank them up to 2500 - 2600 rpm in the combines. 2800 will be pretty noisy for sure.[/QUOTE]

I have a 912 apart in the shop at the moment and according to deutz they are rated for 2800 rpm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Good to have you back Trevor. Check out your thread from April 05 2010. Looks like you've got a whole bunch of homework to do !!!!!!!! Just teasin

·
Registered
72 Posts
914s suck the fueling system is horrible and extremely expensive these engines were hated by my customers as it takes a lot of care just to keep everything working properly... and the difference in 913 turbo and non is valve angle Iv enter changed before though.... Also they use the same rods and brgs this is why it's so common for the turbo engines to sling a rod because they were not built to handle the boost pressure entering the cylinder

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good to have some real world feedback. So do you reckon 913s are best left NA? I was thinking they might be a good ultra long life medium size truck motor with good power. Maybe not such an ideal option after all...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe you could do turbo with arp rod studs and/or a custom cut brg. I will post pics of what happens to the crank when I get to work... You can tell yhe engine just wasn't made to handle cyl. Pressure+boost because the rods pay the price

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
hot oil is their problem not to small of bearings the bottom end is bigger than a 5.9 cummins they are a very understressed engine with the amount of power they make I have been running them for 35 years and never have had bearing trouble

1 - 19 of 19 Posts