Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I think I got me a 12 valve that needs to be pulled apart and built up. I dont want to do anything crazy, just try and get it running again. I guess it melted the turbo so I need to get in and check out the pistons. I have been hearing about the different injection pumps and cannot get a visual picture of what they look like. He said it was one of the last 12 valves so is that a later 90s? I could mnaybe get a 24 valve, but id rather stick with the 12 valve because of wiring.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the p pump are inline, as in the injector lines are in a line on top of the pump. the ve pumps the are in a circular pattern on the back of the pump.

these are the two major styles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh he had a different motor with what looked like an inline pump. It had hard lines coming out of each injector in a straight line. Is that the better pump?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
the p7100 pump has the injector lines comiing out of the top of it in a row. the ve pump has them coming out of the back of the pump straight towards the firewall in a circular pattern.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the inline pumps are better pumps, but both are good. The inlines are more robust and forgiving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SO I think I got me a 12 valve that needs to be pulled apart and built up. I dont want to do anything crazy, just try and get it running again. I guess it melted the turbo so I need to get in and check out the pistons. I have been hearing about the different injection pumps and cannot get a visual picture of what they look like. He said it was one of the last 12 valves so is that a later 90s? I could mnaybe get a 24 valve, but id rather stick with the 12 valve because of wiring.
If its a 89-93 engine it will have a ve pump on it, if its a 94-98 it will be a p7100, I've heard them referred to as the million mile pump because they just last that long, depends on what it came from as to how much power it has in stock form, but that doesnt really matter with a little tuning, the auto trucks had 10 or so less hp than the manual trucks did and the horsepower rating jumped a little after the 94 & 95 models, so a 96 97 or early 98 truck with a manual trans has 215 stock hp compared to the earlier 190hp. Any 6bt cummins you need can be found at www.dieseltruckresource.com , theres a lot of real good guys on there that would be more than happy to help you out. Stick with a 94-98 12v they are by far the best, they are reliable, cheap to work on, and can be turned up for very cheap, I drive one everyday and love it. Stay away from the 24v's they have a vp44 electronic injection pump that is prone to problems due to poor lift pump fuel pressures and costs over $1000 to replace it, they are also more $$$$$ to do power modifications to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts