Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1989 dodge 3/4 ton D2500 2 wheel drive . It's running & I can drive it around the farm.
I'd like to remove the Dodge 2 door body off it & replace it with some other old pickup cab.
... Is there one body that fits much BETTER than most of the others.
Or is there one body you really need to stay away from.
I'd like something like a 1956 Studebaker But I've found a 1948 Ford that looks to be in good enough shape for my project .
& Every one else in my local area has used a 1953/ 54 chevy pickup so I'd like to not use the Cheby.
Any advise before I waist a bunch of money that does yield it's self to my frame.
....THANKS UP FRONT .
OH & THE DODGE BODY is beat off the doors are crushed.. fender toast... Grill is busted . & An 89 dodge was never cool.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a long engine to go into an old truck. I'd say the tape measure is your friend and measure from your current firewall to the front of the radiator and then see what truck fits the bill. Studebakers are getting hard to come by, but I have seen a one ton with a 6bt in it before. I'd guess 60's vintage are gonna have more room everywhere than 40's or 50's. I'm 6-5 so those old trucks dont fit me either...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JeepGuy. We're supposed to have a guy in our town .. Whom is supposed to have several old Studebaker pickups in his pasture . I'm looking for him.
... Guys keep the commits coming . I'd like to have any though on what to look for because .. Most of mine will be a long ways from home & going back will be difficult .
...... & What do you feel the price of buying an old body set up be worth to you.
Seems most folks have ask me $3000.oo. I'm more of a 500.oo guy my self.
...... I saw one of those COE. Trucks a few days ago .. It was $5250.oo I'd rather have that than than a 3000.00 55 ford pick up.
... Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
...... I saw one of those COE. Trucks a few days ago .. It was $5250.oo I'd rather have that than than a 3000.00 55 ford pick up.
I've installed a lot of sound insulation in my F150 and put lots of miles and states on it. And can hear the radio and CD player.

If you are going to drive long trips, you might want to think hard about a COE - You will be sitting above and beside that noisy 4bt.

Russ

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Some people with COE's slide the engine rearward, if one has enough bed/wheelbase available.

Ed in CO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts