Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I've found out that the stock 5sp manual (in a Chevy S-10) isn't up to the job, are there any Chevy/GMC/Pontiac/Etc manual transmissions that are. And are there any that are a direct bolt-in replacment?

Pantherman

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A lot of people use NV4500's from Dodge CTD trucks, along with the bellhousing, adapter plate and flywheel from the Dodge truck. Pretty bulletproof, but expensive.

As far as OD trannies go, other people are swapping AX-15 and NV3550's, both lighter duty than the NV4500. But you were asking about GM transmissions...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
not a manual, but a well built 700r4 out of an S10 (behind the 4.3) should be up to the job.

also, the Chevy had a version of the NV4500 as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NV4500's were also produced for GM trucks; they are uncommon and they have a higher first gear.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,659 Posts
NV4500's were also produced for GM trucks; they are uncommon and they have a higher first gear.
Only the first year of introduction did GM's use the lower first gear. Very rare and too much jump between gears for the 4B

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
not a manual, but a well built 700r4 out of an S10 (behind the 4.3) should be up to the job.

also, the Chevy had a version of the NV4500 as well.
After being built for a diesel application. 700r4 is where I'm headed...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also note that the pre 96 GM NV4500 will not bolt to gm or dodge bellhousings. It has its own pattern

·
Registered
137 Posts
4L80E, pricey w/the standalone controller but bomber. Allison's out of buses LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been lurking for awhile, thought I'd finally register and chime in.

According to this website, while the T5 was the main S10 manual transmission, the NV3500 also came in S10's from '90 and up. The NV3500 would probably stand up to a stock 4BT in a light S10 for quite some time, if not abused. I don't know if the donor truck has been purchased yet but this is something I would keep my eye out for.

Good luck. I'll be following your build closely as I will likely be doing a 4BT/S10 swap as well. bounce

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am considering doing my swap with either the GM NV3500 or a Ford ZF. The 3500 is rated up to 300 ft/lbs torque.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Been lurking for awhile, thought I'd finally register and chime in.

According to this website, while the T5 was the main S10 manual transmission, the NV3500 also came in S10's from '90 and up. The NV3500 would probably stand up to a stock 4BT in a light S10 for quite some time, if not abused. I don't know if the donor truck has been purchased yet but this is something I would keep my eye out for.

Good luck. I'll be following your build closely as I will likely be doing a 4BT/S10 swap as well. bounce
I would not recommend the old T5 at all. Chevy or Jeep. The prior owner of my scrambler kept the T5/D300 and had issues with the input shaft bearing shortly after replacing the T176 in his 81 Scrambler. He tried to get parts for it and from what he told me, you couldn't get aftermarket parts for it anymore. I'd swing towards a more current 5 speed like the NV3500, 3550, 4500 or even the Jeep AX15.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would not recommend the old T5 at all. Chevy or Jeep. The prior owner of my scrambler kept the T5/D300 and had issues with the input shaft bearing shortly after replacing the T176 in his 81 Scrambler. He tried to get parts for it and from what he told me, you couldn't get aftermarket parts for it anymore. I'd swing towards a more current 5 speed like the NV3500, 3550, 4500 or even the Jeep AX15.
I didn't intend to imply that the T5 was acceptable. I apologize if my post came off that way.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, let me put it a different way, with a stock 4BT, what manual tranmission can I "stomp" on without breaking? Doesn't have to be Chevy/GM anymore seeing how that was a little narrow-sighted on my part.

Pantherman

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also note that the pre 96 GM NV4500 will not bolt to gm or dodge bellhousings. It has its own pattern
I am running an NV4500 behind my 4BTA that I removed from a 1994 Chevrolet C3500 truck. It does have the 6.23:1 first gear, and it bolted right up to my Chevy bellhousing adapter. I did have to modify (grind!!) my adapter however, to make the external slave cylinder fit.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
SM 420s and SM465s are strong trannys also , and short.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey IHRA racer - What flywheel are you using?
I didn't record the Cummins part number off of it (I don't even know if it had one cast in or not), but it is for a Chevy manual transmission and will take a 12" clutch. The NV4500 that I bought had just been rebuilt, and the truck that it came out of had a new 12" pressure plate/clutch in it, so I used that as well, and it all bolted right up to the flywheel and the transmission adapter, and I retained the starter that came with my motor as well. I got the flywheel from some guy in Kentucky who does a lot of Cummins 4BT and 6BT work and engine swaps for people. If I can find his number again, I can PM it to you if you want.

As an FYI, I have been told by someone locally who did the following with a 6BT, you can use a Ford flywheel in place of a Chevy flywheel and still use the Chevy tranny and starter, but you have to change the pilot bushing/bearing AND you can only use an 11" clutch. The guy that did this particularly ingenious bit of cobbling did so because they were in a pinch and needed the truck, and couldn't get the right flywheel quick enough. So as you can imagine, a 6BT in front of an 11" clutch (and in a one ton dually) lasted about a week and a half before it literally shredded the clutch plate, but it was long enough for them to get the right flywheel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts