Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
No one is saying do that. I'm saying forget the CNG and do propane instead, its easer and cheaper in the long run and just as effective.
Sure sounded like it to me....... especially since your suggestion to use BBQ tanks was in response to a guy looking for a CNG tank, and you saying that you built a kit yourself, all in a CNG thread.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
If it did not work truck drivers sence the 50s would not be using it and bully dog performance would not be selling them.
I have not seen or heard of any truck driver running gas. It's a story only used by those selling such systems on the internet.

Did you not read my post. I said propane works, but it risks major engine damage. No-one said it didn't work.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
You are the only one confused. I'm telling the person who asked the Question that you do not want to put natural gas in his diesel use propane instead.If he wants convert the diesel over only cng the use the cummins makes the in the B model. Put if you just insist on putting cng in with the diesel then when you find a tank, the adjustable headed regulator, all the hose, boost switch, silenoid valve, and fittings all rated for the high pressure. When you've done all that and figure out how to get it to work without flooding the engine. And when you have hundreds if not a grand or more, in this prodject and it only gets 5-10 mpg, just remember that I told you you can do the same thing cheaper with propane, I built mine foe around a 100. I'mjust trying to help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually, I appreciate all input. I don't think I would ever use any equipment that was not rated for its intended purpose. The arguments pose a learning process. Before this I was looking at the water cells, but determined that it is to new with no proven results. CNG is abundant and even at 10 mpg it is cheap enough where I am to consider it as a viable fuel. Even running a mixture of 30% diesel and 70% CNG would lower gas cost considerably. So what are the associated costs, pros cons et cetera. I have a 4bt in the garage and it seems (being a part of this forum) we all agree it it. But how to make it more efficient and cost effective. These are the questions. CNG is out there and running in diesels. It is also running on gasoline engines as an independent fuel source. I am not sold on any method of making it more efficient. I am also not against running pure good ole diesel through it as a solo fuel source. I believe one has to consider fuel alternatives due to the current price of gas and diesel. I feel the public is being held hostage by the oil companies who love to blame supply and demand while prices are manipulated. I would like to see the good ole USA cut our foreign independence on oil. Listening to the guy at the gas department he called CNG a renewable fuel source. Funny, I had never heard anyone say this. But then he cited dumps who siphon gas from the waste material and use it in engines. He talked about biodegradable plants and stated that gas could be a product from what we consider waste. I don't believe that gas from garbage dumps will supply everybody but I liked the fact that he was trying to think out of the box. I actually like guys like Dougal who have looked into these things and have an opinion. He doesn't go with the hype and blindly say that it's the best thing out there. It seems he has looked into the subject and formulated his opinions. These guys temper my enthusiasm and make me look 3 and 4 times at a project. But given what I know, I will have to keep researching to find if it is viable for the 4bt. Hopefully someone out there is running this in their 4bt and can give first account to the good and the bad. The propane Idea is also worthy of looking into. I would like to see the arguments supporting the suggestion. (and it should be started in that particular forum). Just make a pointer link from this thread to that thread. I have decided that it is viable for my Honda Civic at 78 cents per gallon equivalent. But the question of giving up room and ventilation for the tank seem to put the project in question. Especially since I am trying to save for my 4bt conversion. Like most I am down to one project at a time. And unfortunately for me the wife wants a home interior remodel next.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I've never heard of running propane tanks in a CNG setup, then again I am pretty new to this. I was wondering if anyone has accomplished this for under $1K with a decent sized tank.
i've already seen some clandestine cng setups with propane tanks, and many blew out while refuelling... some people use a secondary valve to get the pressure down but it's prone to fail... it's always more reasonable to use the right tanks to handle the pressure...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure about heikki, but I am considering the duel fuel on my current 6.2 diesel. If I mess up the engine I am out nothing since I have the 4bt in my garage. If fact, it would be a good test platform for blending the fuels. The company I found has a set up that plumbs into the intake before the turbo. Or in my case I don't have a turbo on my naturally aspirated 6.2 It just plumbs in. The vehicle runs off straight diesel at idle and the suction created by the intake allows the CNG valve to open and supply gas. Too cool if it works. but like I said before, the gas in Corpus Christi is 0.78 cents per gal equivalent, so why not try? Now if I could just find the cash.........

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Why are y'all so obsessed with adding another fuel to a diesel. If you want to save money do the biodiesel route. I promise you are wasting your time and money with cng.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I might get my dual fuel running within this year, but we'll see. I made some preliminary calculations, and I save some 20-25% on fuel costs. First I wasn't too impressed about the numbers (€/100km), but after I added up the whole year, savings were quite impressive. Some calculate that how long it takes to system to pay itself back, in my case it's about 18 months. But I don't care to make that kind of calculations. Those numbers are made with CNG, CBG is just a little bit more expensive so I guess it's about 20-22%.
One thing I didn't even consider, but EWS claims that dual fuel system increase power as much as 25% www.ewsews.com FATMAN, were you talking about ews kit?

Biodiesel would be way to go, if it were readily available. I don't have time to mess with it, nor I don't have place for it. Not to mention that I would have to pay tax of it, too. At the moment, to me, biodiesel would be waste of time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heikki,

Yes, I was. It seems simple enough. I am in the cusp of an in-home renovation though. So I may be backed up a bit. I second your bio-diesel thoughts. I don't have the time either (nor the place). My supervisor decided to drop a majority of the work load on me after another employee resigned. Not complaining, but I see little time in the near to mid term future. In fact, 2012 now looks like a bust. It will take the rest of the year to certify another worker to bring me back to a regular case load.

I was thinking about doing my civic first but decided that I could improve my Daily Driver later. With the arguments going back and forth, I might as well plan on the pickup. I still have yet to hear any opinion of someone who did this with a 4bt. Also, the local gas department down here runs CNG in their trucks. Works fine for them.

Tim Aka FATMAN

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It make sense to run it when you are transporting cng. It does not if you have to spend the money to install it, the kit, the tank, and the fuel to get another fuel more mpg. Not only that but that the tank takes up a lot of space. There is no reason you can't do the biofuel in your garage, and make a stop before getting home from work. Stop at an ideal restaurant switch out a plastic 55 gallon barrel every so often, you don't have to run 100 percent a tank every 2 or 3 will accomplish the money savings you are going to get with cng with very minimal funds. You are going to have go to the gas department anyway so you are still having to make stop.

·
Registered
144 Posts
IDI? Not sure what that is. But I figured that to run WVO I would need a heater and a dependable source for WVO. And I am not sure how the 6.2 would run with it. I am actually limited by knowledge of the subject. On the other hand, CNG is abundant down where I am and it's dirt cheap. Basically, I want to run as cheaply as possible within but don't want to keep putting to much effort into the fuel.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
No heater is required if it is liquid at room temp and you mix it with a percentage of diesel. In the winter you might have to get some alcohol or there are other things to keep it from gelling. It will make that truck run better and get a little better mileage it will work great with your truck.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
A restaurant that doesn't use lard just olive or canola or veggie. They have to pay to get it pumped out they usually jump at the chance just ask around and do a little research.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Now that I've done some research and studied WVO use, I have to admit that I got interested. I have to make some calls on Monday, then I know better that should I try WVO. To my surprise, it was the chemistry part that got me.

But let's keep this thread to CNG.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
IDI? Not sure what that is. But I figured that to run WVO I would need a heater and a dependable source for WVO. And I am not sure how the 6.2 would run with it. I am actually limited by knowledge of the subject. On the other hand, CNG is abundant down where I am and it's dirt cheap. Basically, I want to run as cheaply as possible within but don't want to keep putting to much effort into the fuel.
IDI: indirect injection...

actually the 6.2 would run better on WVO than with CNG blends... if you're really willing to use CNG it's better to get an engine with direct injection...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Direct

61 - 80 of 118 Posts