Votes: 10 76.9%
  • 4bt

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 2wd sc/lb v8 and I'm looking to put either a 4bt in it or a 12v. I know that with the 12v I can basically just drop the motor in the truck with minimal work besides beefing up the front end some snd the fuel mileage would be great in this size truck, I dont much about the 4bt so I need to know what would be the cheaper choice and better in the long run too, with the 4bt would I have to get all the wiring or would it match up with what the truck has now like the 12v would and would the extra fuel mileage of the 4bt be worth it or could I tune the 12v up to get the fuel mileage of the 4bt? So what would be the best choice?

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
You could go either way but in the long run the 12 valve will probably be cheaper and there isn't that much difference in fuel milage. Maybe 2 or 3mpg. The 4bt would be nice in the lighter truck but other than the extra weight there isn't much downside to the 12 valve. If you could find a rusted out Dodge Cummins much of the swap would be transfering parts. You can many times buy a complete running truck for far less than the parts you'll need and can sell off the unneeded parts to recover some of the cost. Something to think about.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dodge switched from 12v to 24v in the middle of 1998. You can't replace your engine with and older one if you need to deal with emission testing in Indiana.

It may be less hustle to sell your truck and buy one that came with 12v already. Probably cheaper too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I originally thought the 12v would be the simplest and best choice to go with but I just thought Id ask you all on here since I thought you'd give me the best advice and interzonearts thanks for the advice but this is my grandfathers old truck that he bought new in 99 and I grew up riding in this truck so it has a lot of sentimental value to me so Id rather fail an emissions test down the road then get a different truck if you understand

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do understand the sentimental part so buy a beat up truck and swap the body. there is no point in reinventing the wheel with going with a 12v. long run a 12v would be cheaper but 4bt would be kooler and better fit with keeping the truck as stock as possible.you would have to drive a lot of miles to make the 4bt cheaper in the long run.

·
3,907 Posts
Easiest swap is going to be the 12 Valve, get a whole truck with it, take what you need and scrap the rest.

Finding a 4BT repower that is new enough to pass an emissions test in your truck will be a challenge to say the least, and you will pay a premium for any engine that is worth buying that can do that (read $$$$$$).

There are people on here that have swapped the 24 Valve into other things, a bent donor truck being the best option yet again (the little pieces are what will nickel and dime you to death).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Iv swaped both engines into differnt vehicles and I would say go with the 12v. I put an old 89 12v in my crew cab ford I was still getting 22 mpg on the highway. not bad for a big old engine and more power when you need it. 6bt is alot quiter.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yeah I originally thought the 12v would be the simplest and best choice to go with but I just thought Id ask you all on here since I thought you'd give me the best advice and interzonearts thanks for the advice but this is my grandfathers old truck that he bought new in 99 and I grew up riding in this truck so it has a lot of sentimental value to me so Id rather fail an emissions test down the road then get a different truck if you understand
Try looking for a bus,or delivery van with the 12valve in it,they seemed to be in trucks a little newer than 99...the 12valve is an easier swap,all the parts are in a Dodge 2500 truck with diesel option.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
The 24 valve is not bad if you get all the wiring and harness. THe computer is right on the engine and if you get the CAN port you can plug diagnostics in and find out what's wrong. You can also put tuners on through the CAN bus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts