Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good mornin`all. I just picked up my basket case 4BT yesterday and found out some good and bad news. The good. The injectors have been reworked and are now of the 80HP variety. The crank was balanced and it has a balanced Damper. Complete rebuild kit. Block bored and fire wire ringed. I will have to rebuild the head and get it grooved for the wire. The is it has the CAV pump. Can it be used for street use? and if not, what is the best version pump to use? This will be a long term project so I can hunt down the needed parts. Any feedback from you all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It depends on three things:
What you want power-wise,
what you want to do with the engine (going into a truck? a backhoe?)
and what your budget is.

I hate CAV pumps and injectors. They are right up there with shitty Lucas electrical systems, and I think CAV/Lucas is now one big happy family in the UK.

Also, I don't know if CAV pump offers any performance/upgrade potential. The one you have may be the "load" governed kind and not the "speed" governed kind you want for a truck. The only one I have seen on a 4BT was a marine engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It depends on three things:
What you want power-wise,
what you want to do with the engine (going into a truck? a backhoe?)
and what your budget is.

I hate CAV pumps and injectors. They are right up there with shitty Lucas electrical systems, and I think CAV/Lucas is now one big happy family in the UK.

Also, I don't know if CAV pump offers any performance/upgrade potential. The one you have may be the "load" governed kind and not the "speed" governed kind you want for a truck. The only one I have seen on a 4BT was a marine engine.
I will probably use it in a Scout or similar application. It will be matched to a 47RH transmission. The engine was in a generator previously.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey, Oldguy, welcome!

What Linc Tex said, and: I can't see any reason not to use the Bosch VE pump. They are the least expensive to purchase, least expensive to have rebuilt/repaired, offer great fuel economy and reliability due to their simplicity, and they are able to pump out huge amounts of fuel for high performance! If you want to go off the dial on performance there are other options, but for a strong, healthy and reliable driver I don't think they can be beat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts