Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's the CPL of your engine? That vaguely looks like an inline pump engine to me.
I don't know, I think CPL 858 but not sure. Tag is gone.
That picture is NOT my engine, it is "averageF250".
Mine doesn't have that.

That there is what they call a KSB
That is all you are going to offer? What the hell does KSB stand for?
Should I find one for my engine?
What does it do? What does the wire do?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Mine doesn't have that.

the ksb is the wax motor. It helps with cold start. There is a cummins service doc in the yahoo group that has a lot of information on it.

I am not sure you need it. remembering now: it was mentioned in another thread that it retards the timing until the engine warms up. if you unplug it, it is advanced all the time. This was for an engine with it installed, so your timing may be different already...similar engines are often found with different timing anyways.

the wire goes to a temp switch in the block, when the engine hits a certain temp, it either opens or closes and controls the KSB/wax motor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Diesel Durango you are much better than that darn ol search button! :happyfinger:

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Mine doesn't have that.

Post 3 said what it does !
Post4 said the name of it !

Search a little :grinpimp:

·
Registered
808 Posts
The KSB Timing Advance System comes in two types;
The Wax Motor Type with the temp sensor in the coolent jacket, and the Selenoid type with the sensor located in the intake manifold. Both accomplish the same function, just do it in different ways.

I run my Wax Motor KSB's on all my engines disabled so I have normal timing with NO advance when cold.

The shop manual covers the KSB in detail, both in function and testing.
Here is some info from the CUmmins Shop Manual, a second page follows in the next post.

Paul

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are some very helpful replies, thanks!

I won't worry about finding and installing one, I'll run the engine as it is.

·
Administrator
4,182 Posts
On the wax motor type you can run a lead from the run side of the shut off solenoid directly to the wax motor terminal. This is what the non intercooled Dodge guys do whenever the temperature switch that controls the wax motor fails.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On the wax motor type you can run a lead from the run side of the shut off solenoid directly to the wax motor terminal. This is what the non intercooled Dodge guys do whenever the temperature switch that controls the wax motor fails.
Exactly. I wouldn't run it long without power to it on a non-intercooled pump. This is the setup I have running on mine.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
LincTex;11309) That is all you are going to offer? What the hell does KSB stand for? Should I find one for my engine? What does it do? What does the wire do?[/QUOTE said:
If jackasses used the search function here you'd probably save a lot of people from getting carple tunnel. If you punch KSB in, you'd see 50 threads or posts stating the same F***ing thing.:happyfinger:

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
How far did your blood pressure rise while typing?
None, just annoyed. If you dont know what your CPL is, punch in your engine serial #( on back of motor below head(use mirror,if you can read backwards)) on Cummins quickserve(no money for one serial #) and they will give you all options for your motor and the cpl(I think). They told me all original parts on my motor and updated part #'s. Practice spleh siht epoh.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, that helps. I was tired when I made the first reply and it didn't register at the time to search for a KSB.

Looked....no numbers stamped below the head.
Besides I am pretty sure it is a "common" CPL 858.

I am not going to investigate adding the KSB just yet,
I will be doing very, very few start-ups cold when not plugged in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts