Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping mine into an 03 F150 Supercrew. It will be a Family vehicle, and i want to be able to talk while going down the road. It is the XLT package so its pretty quiet, but i'm double layering some foil backed sound proofing material. My initial plan is to use the exhaust from the Chip Truck that came on the motor. I hope to go to something like an AERO for the deep muffled throaty sound. The other question is where does your exhaust exit: straight out back, behind rear wheel, in front of rear wheel, Stacks etc. etc. Lastly, list your exhaust pipe size please!a

I hope everybody will post up. I think it will be helpful to folks in the future!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Mine is 3" that turns out just past the rear wheels with a 25" ss glasspack,the exhaust is not as loud as the mechanical noise from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is 3" that turns out just past the rear wheels with a 25" ss glasspack,the exhaust is not as loud as the mechanical noise from the engine compartment.
Yeah, i know they're loud. Is the noise in reference to the 68 CC Ford your built?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm just starting to research this myself.

FTE makes resonators that look good and have had good reviews, but come only in 4" + exhaust sizes.

Aero Turbine exhaust http://www.tecexhaust.com/ makes mufflers that also look good.

I don't have any personal experience with any, but I am interested in hearing people's opinions!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Moroso Spiral Flow, 3" all the way from the 4"-to-3" reducer off the turbo, exiting behind the rear wheel with a stock Dodge Ram 4" tip. I cobbled my exhaust together from a discarded stock Ram exhaust when my brother upgraded his 6BT to all 4", so I had all the curves already to go over the rear axle and the tip already present.

It has a nice rumble, but the Bronco has little-to-no sound proofing and no top, so I hear it fully.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
4" downpipe back using a 4" banks monster muffler that I had given to me... dumps in the factory location with an AFE 5" tip... exhaust noise is minimal... engine rattle on the other hand...

Sound deadener is your friend on that one.

-Chris

·
Registered
642 Posts
3 inch pipe connecting the twins together, 4 inch down pipe, steps up to 5 inch stack in the box on the rh side. right behind the passenger. can't hear the exhuast with the windows closed. engine rattles a fair bit. and yes i have a good layer of dynomatt and extra sound deadening as well. no mufflers to be seen, twins are a great muffler!! with the single turbo i had way more exhuast noise, now it's a bit quieter!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just starting to research this myself.

FTE makes resonators that look good and have had good reviews, but come only in 4" + exhaust sizes.

Aero Turbine exhaust http://www.tecexhaust.com/ makes mufflers that also look good.

I don't have any personal experience with any, but I am interested in hearing people's opinions!
There's some youtube videos on the AERO with before and after on a 24valve. It sounds good. The whole purpose here is for me (and all who care to read the thread) to make an informed decision on the exhaust option.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moroso Spiral Flow, 3" all the way from the 4"-to-3" reducer off the turbo, exiting behind the rear wheel with a stock Dodge Ram 4" tip. I cobbled my exhaust together from a discarded stock Ram exhaust when my brother upgraded his 6BT to all 4", so I had all the curves already to go over the rear axle and the tip already present.

It has a nice rumble, but the Bronco has little-to-no sound proofing and no top, so I hear it fully.
Looks to be similar in concept to the AERO.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am using this one with 3" piping throughout. exits at rear. I think it sounds pretty good, but I never ride behind me to hear it from another prospective.

I just got done layering Grace Bituthane 3000 roofing membrane (1.5mm, .4 PSF)all over the inside of the firewall and floorboards, wrapped the heater box in it too when I had it and the dash out for the dreaded evap/heater-core/fan service. That really helped with interior noise from the engine bay, conversations are much easier, i can keep the radio volume lower and still hear it well.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am using this one with 3" piping throughout. exits at rear. I think it sounds pretty good, but I never ride behind me to hear it from another prospective.

I just got done layering Grace Bituthane 3000 roofing membrane (1.5mm, .4 PSF)all over the inside of the firewall and floorboards, wrapped the heater box in it too when I had it and the dash out for the dreaded evap/heater-core/fan service. That really helped with interior noise from the engine bay, conversations are much easier, i can keep the radio volume lower and still hear it well.
So no muffler of any sort, just straight pipe! I'm doing a double layer of tar backed foil (roofing product) on the firewall. It should deaden it a great bit. Also plan to line the hood with to see if that helps any. I've heard that getting to the firewall inside the cab makes a great difference. Didn't see any pics of the Bituthane. Where do you purchase it?

·
Registered
720 Posts
there is a link there to the muffler I am using. stock settings on this forum doesnt really make links jump out. I found a 3.5 in/out unit which was roughly the same size as the durango unit and installed it w/ 3x3.5 adapters from summit. I bought 3" exhaust tubing from fleet farm ($23/7') and mitered and welded it all.

I had the roofing product left over from a job i did a while back, it is for waterproofing concrete below grade. It was purchased from a local large commercial roofing supplier, Grace website can connect you with a supplier, but at 200 sf per roll, it would be a pricey option to do one vehicle.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm using full 3" and no muffler... I like fte resonators, but they only come in 4" and 5"... Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's too loud when dumped past the rear axle

Also hear good things about donaldson mufflers for 5.9's

On edit: I can't hear the exhaust until I'm 2200rpm and it gets a tiny bit of drone that you can hear over the engine noise

ADDED VID: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhw_wTX8LQ

·
Registered
275 Posts
3 inch all the way back. Dumps out on the left side behind the rear tire. No muffler. As mentioned by others, the mechanical noise from the engine/drivetrain is worse in my old '63 rover than the exhaust noise.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3 inch all the way back. Dumps out on the left side behind the rear tire. No muffler. As mentioned by others, the mechanical noise from the engine/drivetrain is worse in my old '63 rover than the exhaust noise.
f

BTW if any of you have any videos of in cab noise and or exhaust noise it would be great to post it up. I know youtube is full of Jeeps, rovers and rangers mixed in with a few others, but it would be nice to have access here. It may be more trouble than its worth, but have at it if you so desire.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
2 chamber flowmasters work great on 3" pipe.
I had a 40 series with my gas 6 cylinder but I'd like to go with something a bit quieter this time around. Any specific series flowmaster you'd recommend for the 4bt?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
This is supposed to be the bee's knees for muffling AND killing the drone. They are a tad pricey though. I'm seriously considering one for my 7.3 Powerstroke as it only has a dinky resonator and some serious drone at 70 MPH. There is another Corsa, same number but ends with 1 instead of 2 that is supposed to be good as well. Don't know the difference between them, but the Corsas get nothing but good reviews.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360530066555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had a 40 series with my gas 6 cylinder but I'd like to go with something a bit quieter this time around. Any specific series flowmaster you'd recommend for the 4bt?
Try it, you won't believe how quiet a 2 chamber flowmaster is on a diesel. All you here is turbo. Completely different effect than on a gas engine.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts