Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4bt with a Chevy manual adapter but there's no bearing in the flywheel. I was wondering if anybody knows what that would be. Also what starter goes on there ? Thanks for any help !
IMG_20200517_193402021.jpg

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Looks like a 6BT. I have a chevy adapter as well. I looked at my starter and it has no numbers on it to give you any advice. :(

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Find some vernier calipers and measure the ID of the housing, then need to match up with OD of new trans. Pilot bushings are easily made on a lathe.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I believe the GM pilot bearing is a 15x42x13 sealed bearing which is a number 6302. I've seen several numbers such as 6302DU and 6302-2RS and 6302-2NSL. Just be sure it's a sealed type. The stock starter for the adapter plate is Denso 128000-0545. Make sure the starter spacer is still in place on the adapter plate, otherwise the starter won't fit correctly. If it should be missing that spacer is a Cummins part 3934080. That spacer can be found priced at $85 to near double that. The starter is priced all over the board also. From around $100 to over $300. Probably depends on whether it's a genuine Denso unit or a clone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response to my questions , that helps a lot.
Also , your right. It's a 5.9 and going in a 68 firebird.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
That should be an interesting swap. That's a very heavy engine to put into a pony car. Going to need some heavy duty springs up front with an 1100 lb engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well , yeah , it'll be a little nose heavy. I've already built a full frame for it and stretched it 14" so I can position the motor back from the front wheels a little , witch will transfer some weight to the rear.
It's going to be just a drive around car so it doesn't have to take any kind of abuse.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
That gasket on the sideplate/tappet cover looks different, normally wrap around the plate not sit under it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hadn't noticed anything special about this engine but when I get outside I'll look at that cover. It's a 93 engine out of a 3/4 ton Dodge.
I'll have to be careful , you guys must have a microscope on your computer to look at these pictures.
Anyway , I'll try and post a few pictures of this project along the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So. It's just the sound deadener that your seeing sticking out. The gasket is a wrap around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts