Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the old 7.3 is about to take a crap on me, valve guides are almost gone and there are many other things about to go.. But that is not the only thing.. I want either more power or more MPG's.. I figure as worn out as my 7.3 is, anything with a turbo (no matter how small) will be just as powerful. Now since I have my dodge, I am really in no need for more power, the dodge has tons of it and gets over 20mpg.. My ford is my snowmobile though so I am planning on a manual trans and then a small engine that gets wonderful mileage on the highway.. I DO NOT NEED power.. As long as it gets wonderful mileage I can deal with something slow, it already doesn't move so it will be nice to have something that doesn't move and gets over 20mpg. So what do you guys think I should drop in it? I know the 4bt is the engine most people use but they are so expensive.. I would much rather just find an engine in a tractor junkyard or something. I would love to have a BIG 4cyl.. something with a 5" stroke.... The torque is what I want. But before I ramble on more, maybe you guys can steer me in the right direction on which engine I should get..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I think you are thinking I have descent amount of $ to spend.. I really am just doing this as something that I would like to do.. The 7.3 is still holding together so I am not desperate.. but anything will work, preferably an old one, even back into the 80's..thats why I am thinking of just going to a tractor junkyard (if I could find one) and just find a big 4 cyl so it will be cheap but I can still get the torque I want, I am thinking around a 5liter one would be sufficient.. I am not familiar with how much power the 4bt has, only thing I have riden in is my 2.2l diesel in a D50.. But I just don't have the money to go 4bt.. So do you guys think one of the larger tractor 4cyl diesels will work? And where are any junkyards or places to get those engines?

·
Registered
41 Posts
4BTs don't seem to grow on trees. But maybe a 12V 6cyl could be had cheap enough.

I wish I could 12V my boss/uncles '99F250 with a getting tired 5.4 gasser.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Have you researched the cost of rebuilding what you have vs acquiring a new engine (4BT/6BT) and the costs associated with the swap? Rebuilding the 7.3 with the right stuff might be a more practical solution if you're keeping the same vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I guess when they went from the 6.9 to the 7.3 they revised the valve guides to where they would need no lube, well with no lube they wear out very quickly and then you get a slight hiss from the exhaust (I got that) then an engine miss, then finally the valve falls out and destroys the engine... I called a guy that fixes and revises them so they will work and it costs over $1000...But even if I got it fixed it would still be a dog since it has no turbo, and it would cost a lot to put a turbo on it, then there is the cavitation issue that could happen any moment...that 7.3 just isn't gaining me anything.. I figure I could sell the engine and the E4OD and have more than enough to do a cheap swap.. I would love to do a 4bt with the p pump since I already have a p pumped dodge that I know all the tricks and repairs and everything but they just cost too much. I am looking to spend $1000 on the engine and maybe $500 on a manual trans, maybe less..

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If there were such a diesel engine and transmission that made rediculous low end, great fuel mileage and fit in a pickup with an acceptable RPM range for $1500 demand would drive the price up tenfold.

It is realistic to swap a 4BT into a Ford for under $3000 or so, but you're not going to do that with an E4OD and a diesel bellhousing.

Here's an idea- Sell the truck you have the way it is for whatever you can get out of it. Then go buy another 90's F-250 4x4 with a small block or 300 six and a ZF 5 speed for $1000-$2000 and bolt a VE 4BT in for another $2000.

Depending on what shape your 7.3 truck is in you could do it for little expense at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got any pics of that 71 F250 Dustin? That is but one of the body styles that I feel would be FINE with Cummins power!

·
Registered
329 Posts
What 7.3 do you have (N/A or forced?).

Also, with the vehicle weight, MPG will not be as good as say those with a ram charger, jimmy, etc. You can almost squeak 20 in a 6b with a light left foot.

The cost of modifying your platform may be a hurdle as you are looking for a 1500 dollar drivetrain. A good running 4B is usually that and more.

Not to discourage... just food for thought.

·
Registered
432 Posts
maybe a little off the cummins domain, but past year ive been offered 4-53 detroits and 71 series ranging from a couple hundred to a grand here and there, never had a use for them, bit heavier but still efficient for how old they are IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maybe a little off the cummins domain, but past year ive been offered 4-53 detroits and 71 series ranging from a couple hundred to a grand here and there, never had a use for them, bit heavier but still efficient for how old they are IMO.
My brother put a 6V53 in a 76' dodge powerwagon, he is still building it but I could never find a 4V71 around here.. where are you at? You still know if you can get them or not? I think a 4V71 would be awesome.. the throttle response of his 6V53 is amazing..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can get 22mpg no problem in my dodge.. I have got 20mpg once in the ford somehow... I think its because it does 55 at 1400rpm (big tires) and I was going a constant 55 for 2/3 tank 1/3 of it was at 70mph, who knows what I would have got if my tank didn't leak and I was doing 55 for the ENTIRE tank :eek:

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I think a 4V71 would be awesome...
No such animal. But the 4-71 has been put in pickups. We have a pic of a 3-71T in a pickup at the DetroitDiesel group site at yahoo. 71s are heavy though. The 53s are much better suited for pickups. I've read reports of mid to high 20s mpg in 3/4 ton size trucks using a 3-53. Gama Goat take-outs seldom go for more than $1500.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/

Invest in some good noise cancelling headphones if using a DD as a daily driver.

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts
Invest in some good noise cancelling headphones if using a DD as a daily driver.
At the minimum!! Not much of a daily driver anymore, then. Maybe a good tow rig.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My brother put a 6V53 in a 76' dodge powerwagon, he is still building it but I could never find a 4V71 around here.. where are you at? You still know if you can get them or not? I think a 4V71 would be awesome.. the throttle response of his 6V53 is amazing..
im all the way in savannah GA, welder i use to work with had detroits in all of his heavy equipment becuz thats what he liked and they were loud, ive seen quite a bit of 3-71s in old forklifts, i would go with the 4-53, its only slightly heavier than a 4bt lighter than a 3-71 and more power, throw turbo on there and its the sound of pure power :skull: those motors are in just about anything from old gensets, to construction equipment, just look around, theyre out there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts