Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After letting the engine idle for 5-10 minutes a few times, each time I fingered the the coolant for temp check. Each time it barely warmed up.

Just a reminder, I have a 93' suburban and using the stock 34" by 17.25" radiator that originally came in it. This has proved to be too much cooling capacity for the 4BT and looking to two other radiator sizes for this vehicle.

The first is a 28.25" by 17.25" used in 88-95 chevy half ton trucks.

The second would be from the same body style but with the 4.3 V6. Its dimensions would be 20.75" by 17.25". It's smaller but would it be more proportioned to the size of the 4BT? :confused:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Run whatever radiator fits your chassis well.

Let the thermostat decide what coolant temp in the radiator will be.

Diesels make very little heat at idle. 5-10 minutes really isn't much of a warm up at all. Pull a 10,000 lb trailer up a hill and then see what the coolant feels like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm thinking of going to the 20.75" because its sufficient to cool a 4.3 V6 and I won't be towing anything more then 7000 lbs. Plus with 13 inches of less radiator I can easily plumb the intercooler tubing.

I have a duel electric fan set up with an automatic temp switch. Let's see if I can get'r done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Leave the radiator alone. Just throw a 195 or 210 degree thermostat in it and youll be good to go. The more cooling capacity the better.
A i/c from a newer dodge or a d-max will easily fit around your current radiator.

If you really want to change it use a 99-01 powerstroke i/c combined with an alum rad from summit racing ( 169 new ) That setup works well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts