Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could purchase a turbine housing for an H1C turbo. What critical area size would you choose for your conversion? 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 cm2?

What if you could test a 9 and return it to the manufacturer for conversion to a 12 cm2 for a minimal fee... or vice versa?

What would you be willing to pay for such flexibility?

·
Registered
225 Posts
An exchange policy would be a great thing but only if the fee was charged when you exchanged, not if you kept the housing. Im running the 12cm housing and like it a lot but those of you that feel the need for higher rpm's wont like it. My engine with stock turbo would turn 2960 rpm, after turbine housing, at 2700 rpm the truck noses over and boost drops just like you got off the throttle. I seldom do 2500 rpm so its not a problem for me.
Carl

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nope, no waste gate. Dont have enough firewall clearance to run one. This setup works pretty good for the way I drive. Someday when I have more time i will do the header thing and a different turbo to get to 30-35 psi. At that point ,life will be good.
Carl

·
Registered
38 Posts
Carl, you can add a wastegate to your current setup...

you can drill/tap a hole in the exhaust manifold and run some 3/4 or 1" threaded pipe into it, weld a wastegate flange on it, and run it into your downpipe.

can you flip the manifold to move the turbo forward?

how about modding a 6BT manifold to move the turbo to the center?

a wastegate should help out on the top end

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the info, but it runs good like it is for now. I seldom exceed 2100rpm and havent exceeded 2500 except for tests so Im good for now. Gotta put a 60 under the front with coil springs, A/C, body work and paint, so it will be a while before I do anything else to the engine.
Thanks, Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts