Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many see their engine running at about 160F like mine. Has anyone been able to get their engine to run at 180F in colder climates without using coverings on the radiator and how much does the fuel mileage increase when you get it to run at 180F.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I was wondering how many see their engine running at about 160F like mine. Has anyone been able to get their engine to run at 180F in colder climates without using coverings on the radiator and how much does the fuel mileage increase when you get it to run at 180F.
That's the part I don't understand - If the thermostat is working, why are these engines overcooled? In theory you could have an infinitely large radiator providing unlimited amounts of coolant, but the thermostat would control coolant flow, keeping engine temperature within a certain range. Is it that the air flow around the engine itself dissipates that much heat? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
I think it's down to intake temps.

When you process that much cold air, it's quite easy to lose enough extra heat to not make normal running temp.
Of course if it is this and your thermostat is working fine, then covering the radiator won't make any difference.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
My engine runs at 180 as registered on a auto meter elect unit. The sending unit location is same as for the the Dodge trucks, left rear of the cyl head. I'm also running a Dodge CTD mechanical fan with viscous unit. Stock Scout radatior with custom shroud.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sending unit location is same as for the the Dodge trucks, left rear of the cyl head.
I was thinking about adding a sensor there. May have to wait until I change the fuel filter for that one. That's imposible to get to right now unless I want a green shower on my face working from below.

We all have the same thermostat? I only see one offered in my 4BT parts book. Heard you can get a 190 deg F. T-stat for a 6BT.

I'm also running a Dodge CTD mechanical fan with viscous unit
That should make it even colder than my electric fan setup. Go figure that.

Mikel: Where's your temp sensor located? Mine is top, front passenger side right up near the T-stat. Wonder if our's are low becasue of the location we are reading from.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What port are you guys uising for the Electric Fan Sensor/switch to turn on/off the fan ?

On all the engines I have bought, that switch is in different locations, no consistancy.

Paul

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Mikel: Where's your temp sensor located? Mine is top, front passenger side right up near the T-stat. Wonder if our's are low becasue of the location we are reading from.
I don't know - The engine is buried under a ton of stuff in my garage. But if your temperature is constant, even if low, that means your thermostat is doing its job. It might just be a matter of switching to a higher temp thermostat.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I run 195 all the time. The thermostats are pretty generic items I beleive. You could use a 195 for a ford smallblock for example. I also have my sensor at the back of the head on the drivers side.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my electric fan sw is right next to my upper coolant neck...
also my heater core neck is there also.....
mine has climed to 190 and it holds temps better with the radiator covered....
i used a clear piece of plexi glass it slides right between the radiator support and the radiator....

·
Registered
808 Posts
my electric fan sw is right next to my upper coolant neck...
also my heater core neck is there also.....
mine has climed to 190 and it holds temps better with the radiator covered....
i used a clear piece of plexi glass it slides right between the radiator support and the radiator....
Thanks Johnny

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts