Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, have to say that I am thrilled with this forum. Found it by going to the post office one day, and a guy pulled up with a mid-80's Chevy 4x4, witht he distinct Cummins purr. The conversation started from there......

My quandry......
I plan on acquiring a stepvan with the Cummins 4bt for my crew's work tools (I flip houses, and I'm a landlord). I actually used to drive one of these vehicles delivering bread, and they are excellent vehicles. Next, I have 2 F-150's in my backyard that used to belong to a neighbor. They are basically mine to do whatever I want with them. One is 1989, the other 1991....I think. Both are 4x4, and came with 302's. I have both of the transfer cases, but the earlier model's tranny is missing. Both were automatics.

Here's my question: Since these vehicles were originally autos, any suggestions on what to put in behind a 4bt for an auto tranny (preferrably an overdrive) and still have it be 4x4? My only thought is to keep the cab, and then everything else is wide open. Later, I will build a flatbed to replace the rusty boxes. I don't plan on driving these things cross country, but would like the flexibility of driving at highway speeds plus have the four wheel drive. If anyone suggests a different make tranny/transfer case setup, can you point me in the right direction for adapter plates or bellhousings?

Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
All things equal, use the 89. The 87-89 trucks have a simpler fuel system that's easier to convert to supply low pressure diesel to the 4BT.

The Ford autos suck and will become a money pit to make work behind a cummins. Use a dodge 47RH/47RE and a 94 and up 241 t-case that came on one from a cummins dodge. You simply need all the dodge pieces to make it work.

Not nearly all the bread trucks were autos, there are many drivetrain variations. Find one from a Ford chassis breadtruck that had a 300 six (very common) and the motor mounts will bolt in to your Ford trucks with frame stands from a 4.9 six truck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did a 6bt swap into an '85 Bronco, I used the 47RE in my swap, and it was a PITA! My suggestion- Go with the 47RH, if you want an auto. The 47RE is electronically controlled, and needs the computer to make it run correctly. The RH is Hydraulically controlled, and is easier to do a swap with. If I were to do it again, I would put a NV4500 in there and be done with it! The NP241 t-cas is a good unit and the HD version from a Dodge will bolt right up. You can use either a V-10 or Diesel t-case, because the slip yolks are the same, and I believe the input shafts are as well.

Finally- Go to Ford-Cummins.com (do a google search, cause I can't remeber the exact URL now). The have the motor mounts that work very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts