Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mazda 2.2 ltr. deisel engine and 5 speed trans. It is in a 82 mazda truck with a bad frame. 137K starts, runs and drives great. >40MPG
Any ideas for a transplant recipient.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hi and welcome, RJ! This is just my own opinion and the guys may have MUCH better ideas: I'm a die-hard Dodge guy, but a dear friend gave me a free '74 Chevy LUV pickup. From a mechanical standpoint I didn't think much of it and it wasn't a Dodge. These were made by Isuzu and now I've got to say, it's one great little truck!

They're super light and have an excellent gearbox. Torsion bar front suspension, ala Mopar, means you can just notch up the t-bars to add more front 'spring' lift, like for a heavier engine. Later models had disc brakes and the early drums are hard to get parts for. The Isuzu Trooper's could be had with a strong limited slip rear that's a bolt-in. These trucks handle as good as many sports cars, are real small and very well built.

I only have only one single complaint about mine: IT DOESN'T HAVE A DIESEL [hint, hint...] Isuzu made a diesel version of these trucks! If I had your engine sitting out there I'd be wrenching right now instead of doing the keyboard hunt and peck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it pull it??

I just located a small chevy blazer 2wd.

this is a 2.2diesel and the blazer has a 2.8 gas.
Would it pull this ok?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well, they offered an Isuzu 2.2 diesel in the early Blazers and S-10 trucks, and it was rated at lower output than the Mazda one you have..

Empty Blazer is going to be a bit heavier than the Mazda pickup is empty. If the GVWR tags are still readable, might be able to see what kind of weight difference there is..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hard to find a good rocking chair nowadays though....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
s10 is dead

My 15 year old bounce son and I have decided on putting it in a 1960 JEEP truck.
The truck is a rolling chassie all ready. Needs a lot of work and the bed is toast but we think we can end up with a unusual putt around type truck. While it would be no powerhouse it would have about the same hp as the stock 4cyl.
Its 4wd now so I will be looking for a newer front axle out of a cj or tj. I need to straight tube the front axle as I will run it as a 2wd. The engine compartment is just about right. Many of the mazda parts will adapt well. Including the Heat -A/C system from the cab and the seat. Down side is it has dents to remove. Up side is it is not rusted out. The bed will most likley be some sort of flat bed.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 15 year old bounce son and I have decided on putting it in a 1960 JEEP truck.
The truck is a rolling chassie all ready. Needs a lot of work and the bed is toast but we think we can end up with a unusual putt around type truck. While it would be no powerhouse it would have about the same hp as the stock 4cyl.
Its 4wd now so I will be looking for a newer front axle out of a cj or tj. I need to straight tube the front axle as I will run it as a 2wd. The engine compartment is just about right. Many of the mazda parts will adapt well. Including the Heat -A/C system from the cab and the seat. Down side is it has dents to remove. Up side is it is not rusted out. The bed will most likley be some sort of flat bed.
A local guy has just taken a Willys wagon apart. It was 2wd. He only needed a part from the bottom of the grill for his other wagon. He currently has the wagon body on the 2wd chassis while he builds the 4wd chassis to put it back on. He would let go of the complete 2wd chassis cheap I would think after the 4wd one is complete. (He offered me the front suspension), Your 60 Jeep truck may work on that chassis. That would get you everything you need in a "factory" package. PM me if your interested.

Check out the "3.9 in a 39 Chevy" in the Biuldup thread. The old Jeep bodies would work for a rat truck very well. I drew one a few weeks back when I was thinking about that Jeep chassis. That would allow you to home build a shorter bed for the Jeep you have (without fenders). Take the front fenders off so you can get the front "down". You would probably have to narrow the grill, possibly taking the headlights off and using an old set of bucket type lights. Maybe move the body back a little on the frame to get the front suspension to hang out the front like the rat rods are. That would make the chassis look short in back for a little bed behind the cab. Rat Rods are the hot trend right now. A lot of magazines don't run many features on these vehicles since all their advertisers sell parts for the high tech rods. They have to keep their advertisers happy so they can make a profit from all the adds. When you home build everything using all the parts with patina you don't need the new shinny parts advertised in the magazines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts