Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick and dirty guys. I'm on a mission to swap out my 6.2 in my one ton GMC for a 4bt.

I know where theres a few bread trucks with 4BT's in them
What do I need to look for in the way of CPL numbers and injection pumps

·
Registered
477 Posts
You need to have me come to Ohio and go with you. You get your choice and I get the extra ones.... Ha Ha
It really depends what you are looking for. If it is in a truck now the pump will work and it should be a workable setup. If you have a preference of Chevy or Ford transmission or auto or manual transmission then it may take a little more searching but it is something you don't need help to look at. If it has no intercooler it is probably 105 hp. If it has the water aftercooler a bit more. If it has air to air intercooler it will be the highest hp rating. You can get a good idea about the service of the motor by just taking a close look. Mine had loose bolts everywhere, the wiring was a taped up mess. By the time I drove it 500 miles home the turbo was about to fall off. The motor still appears to be super. You won't get an verified milage from anyone. Some will give you a number but have no way to prove it. If they will let you take them for a short drive it will tell you a lot about each truck. They are noisy in a step van! Pay attention to the performance and odd noises. I could hear the exhaust leak on my turbo.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on down Beck, theres more than one there.
Should be able to get maintenance records since they are at the company that bought them new. My understanding is they take pretty good care of their stuff. Of course this mean it's not going to be cheap

Don't know for a fact but they are supposed to have Chevy automatics behind them. I figure swapping that to much standard should not be to much of an issue

·
Registered
443 Posts
lots

Make sure it has a CPL tag unless you want headaches, Inj. pump shouldn't leak, the the cap is off of the aneroid then it may mean they might have messed with the fuel screw (I think). Look for leaks, especially on the injection pump, check fluid levels, Maybe even bring a squirt bottle ( Soapy water) and see if there are any bubbles around the injectors. You do much more with out "wrenching"- like a compression test. If it has an oil gauge you should look for around 30 at idle and around 60 revving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts