Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good diesel swap into a 1979 Chevy K30(4x4) Tow truck, has a 4 speed manual and a pto for the wrecker bed. Both a motor and a good transmission to go with it. I have looked around and have found multiple good swaps through my reading on this site. What motors, Cummings, Detroit, Caterpillar?

Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
What would be a good diesel swap into a 1979 Chevy K30(4x4) Tow truck, has a 4 speed manual and a pto for the wrecker bed. Both a motor and a good transmission to go with it. I have looked around and have found multiple good swaps through my reading on this site. What motors, Cummings, Detroit, Caterpillar?

Thanks
I say cummins, ofcourse, due to ease of swap. A 6BT in that vehicle would give you 500K easy. A matter of fact A guy here in my town has a 91 Dodge tow truck and is pushing 320K right now.

Just my loose change on the matter.:dustin:

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,681 Posts
For towing a Cummins 6BTA with a NV4500 5 speed or either one of the 6 speeds. I consider the 1997 215 hp to be the best choice.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Jimmy 2 strokes are highly refined extremely technologically advanced mechanical devices engineered to transform the energy stored in diesel fuel into noise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jimmy 2 strokes are highly refined extremely technologically advanced mechanical devices engineered to transform the energy stored in diesel fuel into noise.
I'm not quite sure I've ever laughed so much at a quote before!:rasta:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amen to that. About the time I think that Detroits are the coolest thing ever, I have occasion to listen to one for more than two minutes. My fascination for two-strokes diesels quickly diminishes and becomes annoyance.

My latest occasion was at a tractor pull at a local fair this fall. When the Oliver 990 was finished with his pull, the sound of a 3-71 singing through a 3-inch chrome pipe grew tiresome. I can't imagine riding that green beast all day long across fields doing tillage work! But next year, I'll look forward to seeing him hitch to the sled again.

My vote is for a 6BT in your tow truck, by the way.

If you decide to go with the complete GM package in the tow truck, I know where you can find parts for all things 2-stroke Jimmy. I toured the place looking for what they had in 4BT engines. I told the owner, "Imagine the sound, if all of these engines were singing all at one time!"

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was thinking of using a 4-71 or 6V71 with a RTO-6610 10 Speed trans and NP205 T-Case for towing? Does anyone see any problems with that combo?
Problems, yeah, weight! I helped put a 4-71 in a 70 Dodge 350 2wd. Man, that thing was heavy. I think about 1600 lbs.:eek: The 6V71 would be just too heavy for a one ton, unless you seriously beefed the frame. You'd be better off putting a Pickup body on a Kodiak frame, or something like that. I don't think even the vererable NP205 would hold up to the torque of a 6V71.

So, I would suggest a 4 or 6BT, or if you want to be different, a Caterpillar 3204Turbo. The Cat swap is difficult though, and you need an IP off of an application like a fork lift, or an Integrated Tool Carrier. (Hard to find)
Bob B.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everything else is just different for the sake of it. With a Cummins 6bt, you will be able to enjoy for years, hot rod extensively and get plenty of parts and support.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
6BT sounds good to me, you could still use the Roadranger RTO-6610 if you wanted. Transfer case will be divorced if you need one.

I like Detroits, particularly the 53 series.
The simplest Detroit to fit and have decent power is a 4-53T. The biggest that could fit and still be usable is a 6V53T.
I have had both in different 1 ton trucks, the 4-53 is nice, the 6V53 is to big, and heavy for me.
71 series don't belong in a 1 ton truck without extensive work, would have an excellent chance of creating a boat anchor on overloaded tires..

For pictures of the 61 F350 with Twin turbo 6V53T and RTO-610, and my current project, a 48 Chevy 2 ton with 4-53T, Jake brakes, and RTO-6610:
http://community.webshots.com/user/Grigg3

Grigg

·
Registered
454 Posts
and here i was thinking that was just harleys. just jam a 6BT in it and stop girling around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i think the 10spd is entirely overkill, not that they'res anything wrong w/ that...:D

i vote '94 - '98 12v cummins w/ a 5 or 6 spd. easiest option is to find a '96+ w/ nv4500. do a couple free fuel mods, and w/ a 4k gsk you won't need any more gears than that.

my $0.02.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts