Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it have to be off of a diesel truck?
Can it be from a gas truck?
What years of ford trucks will work?

I was going to get an NV4500 but want to go ZF instead so I dont have to buy adapter between transmisson and transfer case.

Thanks for the help
Im trying to get all the parts for my 79 bronco swap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
However, what you most likely want is the "Wide gear pattern" ZF. These are the ones that came on the small block gassers in F150s and F250s. Generally behind the 300 straight 6 in F150s. Since they have the small-block pattern, they'll bolt right up to any 4BT with the standard cummins-ford adapter that come out the bread vans... the ones that usually had T18s behind them.

The Diesel ZFs with the tighter gear ratios use a bigger pattern than the 4BTs with the Ford adapters that you usually see.

EDIT: To answer your question, you most likely want one from a gas truck.

EDIT2: Search for the "need ford transmission help" thread in this section. It has exactly what you're looking for. I dug it up while doing research for an F150-4BT swap. But I can't post links yet since I don't have 10 posts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I will read the link and search for the post.
I have another quick question though.
I just picked up the local classifieds and they have listed "two 1988 Ford 302 4X4 Transmissions"
Is that one I need?
my intitial search says they are M5ODs.
Again thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
302 is the motor... might want to call and check and see if they are 4spds versus 5spds, and which variety of 5 speed (M5OD or ZF) they are...

·
Registered
841 Posts
The M5OD came in the 90's F150 behind the 302 and 300 6. The ZF came in the F250 behind the 351 (small bell pattern) 460 (large bell pattern) and diesel, I am not sure if that bell is the same as the gasser

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
i have seen zf transmissions only in the f350 and 550, and some factory-fitted diesel 150s... back here in south america ford uses eaton transmissions in the 250 and have used mazda transmissions in the 6cyl gasser f150 and 250... v8 versions were imported only with automatic transmissions...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts