Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a bunch of Dodge 6bt parts on eBay and I was wondering is there a cut off where the Dodge stuff won't bolt to a 4bt anymore? I've got I think a 94 4bt at home right now. Don't know the CPL# offhand though.

I'm looking at stuff like flywheels, starters, intake elbows and heater grids.

What year did Dodge switch to the 24v? Is that stuff compatable at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm using a 2000 Dodge adapter plate, 2000 dodge bellhousing, 2000 Dodge flywheel, 2000 Dodge clutch & pressure plate. My tranny bolted to that adapter/bell is a '96 NV4500. As long as it's a VE pump the pumps can supposedly be swapped, don't know for sure, but one's 6 and one 4.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Dodge went to 24v in late 98 ,there are a lot of parts that will switch over,some 12v and 24v .
The dodge engine adater 94-01 are the same.

Valve cover,timming cover, water pumps,belt tens,injectors (some),hoes,water neck,grid heaters,most gaskets,bolts,brackets.ect
Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I guess its kinda mix and match what will and what won't fit? Would a heater grid and an intake elbow(intercooler to intake manifold) from an 02 fit? Its really a pain when my engine is 90mi away at my folks house.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
yes it will fit if you have the correct intake plate from/for an air/air 4 cyl 4BTA. Or there are some industrial gen set versions that use the plate too that are not intercooled.. Or, buy the 6 cyl intake plate and parts, have some aluminum welding done, and trim it down.. I bought the air intake tube, heater grid, and plate from a '02 24 valve and it should all bolt on minus the plate modification.. I am also using a 6BT 24 valve vibration dampener and AC bracket...

·
Registered
197 Posts
So I guess its kinda mix and match what will and what won't fit? Would a heater grid and an intake elbow(intercooler to intake manifold) from an 02 fit? Its really a pain when my engine is 90mi away at my folks house.
search for posts by Driverswanted and open the post "questions of turned up 4BT's". The 6BTA intake is sitting on my 4BT in a pic there. There are two variations of the heater and intake plate that I have seen. One is heater grid housing built into the intake plate and the other is separate. Mine is a one piece and I cut the intake plate back to the 6BT plate's second set of mounting holes and built up the gasket flange ouboard of that set of holes with JB weld. I then milled it flat for gasket contact. When you flip an intake plate upside down you see both diagonal and cross to hole reinforcement ribs. There is some reinforcement ribbing across the two end holes but not wide enough to supply a good gasket seal. That's the reason for the JB weld buid-up and slight milling work.
I also used a 6bt HY3W, the turbo inlet hoses and the air filter housing which now has a K&N inside. Everything was from the years 2000-2002 I believe. I figure if it was made for a 6BT, it certainly should handle a slightly turned up 4BT without any restrictions on flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts