Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I do B3.9 swaps on all my old Power Wagons. Its really what you want.
However, if your truck is cherry with the low miles, the Diesel swap will drop the value......in most cases.....unless the buyer is really wanting a diesel. Myself, I would go for the B3.9.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
It all depends on what you want out of the truck. I see this with Jeeps all the time. The question is should I hack up this Jeep to make a rockrawler or should I restore it. I say it depends on the condition and completeness. If it's above 90% restore, below 80% do whatever. It's not rare, they made a bazillion of them, but they haven't made any since 1953. Now if it was a Packard then I think you would know what to do.

If it is as complete as it looks I think you'd be nuts to do anything but restore it.

That being said, Lately I have been seeing much higher prices on Hot Rodded Trucks like that than on restoed originals. Shortbed Fords restoed at $25K Hot rod 56's at $50K+ Watch Barret Jackson for ideas on prices.

If you were going to Hot Rod it then a polished 4BT couldn't be all bad. But the truck would have to be brought up to the level of other trucks like it bodywise, paintwise, and interiorwise. $$$$$$$

If you were going to just swap ina 4BT and keep it in the condition it's in, I'd say you are throwing a bunch of money in the fire. It's worth much more to someone else, and you'd probably be better off selling it to them and building something else with the money.

Randy

·
Registered
959 Posts
Do it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all depends on what you want out of the truck. I see this with Jeeps all the time. The question is should I hack up this Jeep to make a rockrawler or should I restore it. I say it depends on the condition and completeness. If it's above 90% restore, below 80% do whatever. It's not rare, they made a bazillion of them, but they haven't made any since 1953. Now if it was a Packard then I think you would know what to do.

If it is as complete as it looks I think you'd be nuts to do anything but restore it.

That being said, Lately I have been seeing much higher prices on Hot Rodded Trucks like that than on restoed originals. Shortbed Fords restoed at $25K Hot rod 56's at $50K+ Watch Barret Jackson for ideas on prices.

If you were going to Hot Rod it then a polished 4BT couldn't be all bad. But the truck would have to be brought up to the level of other trucks like it bodywise, paintwise, and interiorwise. $$$$$$$

If you were going to just swap ina 4BT and keep it in the condition it's in, I'd say you are throwing a bunch of money in the fire. It's worth much more to someone else, and you'd probably be better off selling it to them and building something else with the money.

Randy
Thanks for the advice, everything that you just said was on my mind.
I am really wondering if people will bite on this in this economy.
Do you think if I restore it(and it doesnt need much,paint, brakes,radiator) would I be pulling in a lot more than i would right now?
I want 10k for the way it is right now.
It's a 50th anniversary, even comes with the original owners manual, window sticker, and bill of sale, and it's sat in a barn for like the past 35 years. Pulled er out, did a tune up, oil, fluids, etc and she started right up,not even any blowby. There's a ford for ya :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It is my opinion that it would be worth more as-is to a Ford purist. And you'll save getting your neck rung by not doing a Cummins swap into it... ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is my opinion that it would be worth more as-is to a Ford purist. And you'll save getting your neck rung by not doing a Cummins swap into it... ;)
haha.. i'm scared.
But seriously, i am thinking about selling this truck as is, or putting a little $ into it, and spending the proceeds on either a 4bt or a detroit 4-53T into my 94 f150. sweeettt :)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you're planning on building it to keep it...3/4 ton trucks of ANY make are NOT big ticket high-dollar collectors items and never will be. Why not make it 4wd while your at it too? :idea:

If you plan on trying to "flip" it for a profit, you'd be far better off just sprucing it up and selling it like it is, and then putting the proceeds into something that you really want.

Good luck with whatever you do decide!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If it's really unique and in such good shape, I would find another candidate to modify.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
If you are having any doubt,then don't chop it up,sell it!!!! There are a few who would really want an original old truck,low miles,papers,the works.Take those funds,and get something else to do instead,like an old Mack truck cab,on a late frame,modern brakes.....Even Ford's old Jubilee tractors with the 50th medallion are worth more than the other ones along that era to the right collector!!!!

·
Administrator
4,159 Posts
Put it in Hemmings classifieds magazine for 4 months. If someone buys it then use the money for a conversion vehicle. If you can't get what you think it's worth in 4 months of advertising then turn it into a conversion. After all it's your truck and let your dollars be your guide. Upgrading that old truck's suspension, brakes, steering to modern road worthy systems will take a pile of money before you even start doing a conversion.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I agree with the majority here, do not mess with your 53. Either sell it as an original or restore it. That 94F150 now that is what I would stick a small diesel into.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Decide what you want to do with the truck, then decide what engine is best to help do it.
For an f150 the 4BT sounds like a whole lot better idea to me (and I like Detroits).

If you're set on a 4-53T think about a 3/4 or 1 ton to start with.

Grigg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decide what you want to do with the truck, then decide what engine is best to help do it.
For an f150 the 4BT sounds like a whole lot better idea to me (and I like Detroits).

If you're set on a 4-53T think about a 3/4 or 1 ton to start with.

Grigg
You're right, a 4-53 would be a bit big.
I love that detroit whine..
I like the 4bt also but what is your opinion on the 3-53T?
Too little power?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Of course, this is just opinion, but that truck would be so much nicer cleaned up and polished, with that gorgeous flathead left in place. I would consider a more modest upgrade, a tranny swap, to improve the drivabilty, and maybe a new pair of axles with disc brakes. Things that are invisible to the casual look, but that can be reversed back to factory, with no irreversible mods. That truck is drop dead gorgeous just the way it is.
Again, this is only my opinion, and everyone knows the saying about that.

I'd find something else to drop that diesel into.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course, this is just opinion, but that truck would be so much nicer cleaned up and polished, with that gorgeous flathead left in place. I would consider a more modest upgrade, a tranny swap, to improve the drivabilty, and maybe a new pair of axles with disc brakes. Things that are invisible to the casual look, but that can be reversed back to factory, with no irreversible mods. That truck is drop dead gorgeous just the way it is.
Again, this is only my opinion, and everyone knows the saying about that.

I'd find something else to drop that diesel into.
I wasn't seriously thinking of doing that, I think that it would be kinda stupid to devalue such an old truck. I just wanted other people's opinions on the matter. Its been the way it is for 57 years now you know :)
Just waitin on somebody to take er off my hands so I can get started on my f150 4bt swap :)

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
...what is your opinion on the 3-53T?
Too little power?
I think it's a good if not great choice for a 1/2 ton.
Somewhat difficult to find though.

Ask Jim in NY, he's got one in a 1/2 ton.

Stop by the Detroit section too.

Grigg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts