Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It is running on six cylinders for sure. The crank mush have broken off behind the first two. It does not sound happy that is for sure. I found a 8V71T in a low mileage fire truck that was literally given to me. I have got to go get it. (Not really an issue since I own a towing company) Then decide if I want to rebuild it or just throw it in there and see how it goes.
Very nice, you don't hear many Detroits on the road that are worked much anymore. The 8V71T is probably close to 350 hp stock so that's a nice upgrade from the N model. There's a 70's Kenworth W900 dump truck with a 8V92T that I see from time to time around hear, it sure sounds nice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It is running on six cylinders for sure. The crank mush have broken off behind the first two. It does not sound happy that is for sure. I found a 8V71T in a low mileage fire truck that was literally given to me. I have got to go get it. (Not really an issue since I own a towing company) Then decide if I want to rebuild it or just throw it in there and see how it goes.
Very nice, you don't hear many Detroits on the road that are worked much anymore. The 8V71T is probably close to 350 hp stock so that's a nice upgrade from the N model. There's a 70's Kenworth W900 dump truck with a 8V92T that I see from time to time around hear, it sure sounds nice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a soft spot for the old Detroits. I have a 85 KW W900 with a 8V92T and 15 over with 6 inch straights that I drive almost every day.(towing in new trucks that won't run) I also have another 83 KW W900 with a 8V92T and 85 GMC General with a 6V92T. Guess I need to post a video of me driving it some time for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a soft spot for the old Detroits. I have a 85 KW W900 with a 8V92T and 15 over with 6 inch straights that I drive almost every day.(towing in new trucks that won't run) I also have another 83 KW W900 with a 8V92T and 85 GMC General with a 6V92T. Guess I need to post a video of me driving it some time for your viewing pleasure.
That would be great, I love the sound of them going through the gears. That 85 KW would have been close to the last production silver offered, they went to the 60 series not long after that. I learned to drive on a 84 W900 with a Cummins 400 and 15 over as well. I did get the chance to ride in a Pete 379 with a 8V92T hauling B trains with ore concentrate and really enjoyed that.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I check in every now and again but don't post much. Our Detroit Diesel Enthusiasts group on Facebook keeps me busy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Still lurking here and enjoying some of the other diesel engine projects. I'm still mucking around with my 6 53 Louisville when I can find time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
353TTA with 9a90s and Allison 1000 in my T100 Toyota, running good, everyday driver
Very nice, you have any videos posted. I think I've seen a couple with your truck in it, but it had a standard, did you switch in an Allison?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A310.. yes i put an Allison in after the t56 six speed broke the countershaft due to extra power after i added the second turbo and bigger injectors, running good and looking forward to adding the 7105 injectors, gonna be fun

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A310.. yes i put an Allison in after the t56 six speed broke the countershaft due to extra power after i added the second turbo and bigger injectors, running good and looking forward to adding the 7105 injectors, gonna be fun
Very nice.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea I check in once in a while too. Agreed not much discussion here anymore, or on the yahoo site. When Grigg quit posting stuff, things kinda dried up. And yes lots of action on the facebook group, almost hard to keep up on if you don't check in every day, lots of discussion and video. (thanks Wayne!)

I have a 76 Chev pickup 453N. Just been reminded it's not at all happy with cold weather again.

Terry C.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yea I check in once in a while too. Agreed not much discussion here anymore, or on the yahoo site. When Grigg quit posting stuff, things kinda dried up. And yes lots of action on the facebook group, almost hard to keep up on if you don't check in every day, lots of discussion and video. (thanks Wayne!)

I have a 76 Chev pickup 453N. Just been reminded it's not at all happy with cold weather again.

Terry C.

Nice truck, we used to own a 74 GMC with a 350 in it, would have been a blast with a 4-53.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yea thanks, I've had this thing 30+ years, although only the last few years Detroit powered. Such a common truck around here in its day, now almost looks odd to see one in daily traffic. TC.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
True, I originally was going to build a unique 1994 PeterBilt pickup truck with a 10' box and a 4-53T with a RTO-6610. That build took a turn for the worst when my dad decided that he couldn't continue working on it. Seven years later and my Detroit build is back on, this time in a newer 2009 Ford F350. I still plan a Peterbilt pickup, just not a daily driver as my wife says (no way that's sitting in our driveway), so the 2009 it is.:) I think I'm about 3-4 months away from my dream of daily driving my 4-53T.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
New here and first time replying to a post , just started a detroit diesel project , been wanting to do this for years when my family had a dealership for detroit diesel over 25 years ago , closed it then when my father passed away , grew up around them from the early sixties on , might explane why I am half deaf , htis one is a 3-53 gama goat into ford ranger , two wheel drive and keeping it light for max mpg , the engine I stumbbled across was a O/H unit that has been stored for years , everything is new inside and will give me many years of sevice , will start a new thread on the build along with photos , I have gathered a lote of info from this site for my R &D (rob and duplicate )for my project , Have a good one , Blaine in Mississippi

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster/new user. My project is a badly water damaged 6v53n that I bought from a dairy farm up in enum claw WA. It’s a 1971ish engine from a GMC truck. At some point soon, might have to evaluate the viability of the project. I’m probably in way over my head. If this one is beyond Hope, I might use one of the heads for a 3-53? (Sorry about sideways pic...)

Auto part Engine

21 - 40 of 78 Posts