Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the oil pressure sending unit located? I can't find the bugger.
Matthew

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
mine was on a hose that went into a block beneith the oilfilter on the passenger side.

hard to see but it's a braided cable, really dirty, it's acctually stainless. comes out right above the motor mount, there are two things on it, one is the sending unit, the other is the low oilpressure kill switch. sorry about the huge pictures:

the unit itself is barely in this picture:

sorry the picture is sideways:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yep, mine too....

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
can anyone describe which unit is which out of curiousity, which is the sender, which is the kill switch?

·
Registered
645 Posts
The large one would be for the gauge. :D
Are you sure about that? I figured it'd be the other way around, smaller one for sender, big one for kill switch but I'm just guessing based on senders I've seen on gassers, I haven't actually put a Fluke on either one to test.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Diesel Durango, that helped a lot.
I pulled the lead on the smaller one and nothing happened. The engine still ran and the gauge was still reading.
I then put it back and pulled the lead on the larger sender, and the gauge responded. So the larger one is the sending unit for a gauge.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks Diesel Durango, that helped a lot.
I pulled the lead on the smaller one and nothing happened. The engine still ran and the gauge was still reading.
I then put it back and pulled the lead on the larger sender, and the gauge responded. So the larger one is the sending unit for a gauge.
That's good info. I'm thinking the reason they put these on the end of a hose was to isolate them from the vibration so I think I will do the same in my truck. That big gauge sender has a lot of mass on the end of a 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread so I'm thinking if it was mounted directly on the engine that sender head is going to shake pretty good and may eventually lead to failure of the pipe thread or failure of the internals.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That's good info. I'm thinking the reason they put these on the end of a hose was to isolate them from the vibration so I think I will do the same in my truck. That big gauge sender has a lot of mass on the end of a 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread so I'm thinking if it was mounted directly on the engine that sender head is going to shake pretty good and may eventually lead to failure of the pipe thread or failure of the internals.
Thats exactly why they mount them on a rubber hose, For vibration reasons. Most senders can't take the vibration. Alot of times when I get a sending unit at the parts store it will come with a piece of paper warning not to mount it directly to a diesel engine. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts