1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I bought mine at the local Cummins place in Rocky Hill, CT.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I get mine direct from Cummins Northeast. The color always matches the last spray can used. I did buy a spray can of NAPA Cummins Beige, it did not come close to matching the Chrome C Beige. If your going from scratch and dont plan to repaint, the NAPA would be acceptable with nothing close to compare it to.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I think the first time I ever saw the color 'Cummins Beige' was back in the 60's when I changed my kid's diaper for the first time...

I wish they had chosen industrial Chrome Yellow, or HOT RED, or Electric Blue or just about anything but that godawful tan/beige: JMHO :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just painted my engine this weekend.

I bought two cans at napa that said cummins beige. I put on 2 coats and used 2 cans; 1 can per coat. Since I was painting the whole thing I didn't need to match anything and I'll be able to grab a can locally in case I need to spot anything now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks great, how did you prep the engine before paint?

·
Registered
425 Posts
First I pressure washed it after soaking it with enginebrite when I got it home. It sat for a month or two. Then I got out some degreaser I got at costco, a toothbrush, and scott pad and did some detail cleaning by hand. I rinsed it well. I even took off the valve covers to get the crud inbetween being careful not to let any fall into the engine. I roughed up the paint with a wire-wheel on a drill, blew it off with air, taped what I didn't want painted and painted it. The paint dried very quickly and said to put on any additional coats within the 1st hour or I'd have to wait 7 days for it to cure before coating it again. The older beige seemed too yellow (the engine has been repainted before but I could see the old original color under parts that I took off), but I like the color that it is now.

Other side

Here you can see the original color that looks like what JimmeD described

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
That does look great! I can easily see the difference in tint and I think I prefer the Napa color, slightly more green it it and more depth of color.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guys that HAVE use the Cummins factory paint. Is it rattle can or sold in bulk to be sprayed out a HVLP gun? What kind of prices have you been charged? I want to see how prices vary from dealer to dealer if any.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Paint, Cummins beige, aerosol, 12 oz (340 g) can Cummins part number 3824515 normally available at any Cummins parts outlet or most authorized Cummins repair shops.

A quick Google for the part number gives the following supplier at $6.84 per can:
http://www.muncie-baker.com/supply_catalog/cummins_engine.pdf
I have never done any business with them so you are on your own. Mine comes from a friend who runs an authorized Cummins repair shop.

Or if you choose you can always pay the mark up artists on EBay 33 percent more!

Reactions: Josh_1969ss

·
Registered
94 Posts
Boy I hate to even bring this up,,,,,,but would it be OK to paint the engine another color? You guys seem very loyal to the original color. And there is nothing wrong with that,,,really. Don't hate me, but I was thinking about painting mine red and polishing out the valve covers. Remember guys I,m new to the diesel thing and realize the engine color has a lot to do with brand loyalty.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Boy I hate to even bring this up,,,,,,but would it be OK to paint the engine another color? You guys seem very loyal to the original color. And there is nothing wrong with that,,,really. Don't hate me, but I was thinking about painting mine red and polishing out the valve covers. Remember guys I,m new to the diesel thing and realize the engine color has a lot to do with brand loyalty.
Its your engine going in your truck, you pick the color. I believe that red and polished valve covers would look sharp. I was at Cummins Northeast a few months ago and sitting on the floor was a White and a Black 6BTA. The parts guy said the marine engines are usually painted white and stationary engines usually painted black ? I just happen to like the Beige. I think the Cummins in the picture would look bad painted Beige, know what I mean LOL

Paul

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Its your engine going in your truck, you pick the color. I believe that red and polished valve covers would look sharp. I was at Cummins Northeast a few months ago and sitting on the floor was a White and a Black 6BTA. The parts guy said the marine engines are usually painted white and stationary engines usually painted black ? I just happen to like the Beige. I think the Cummins in the picture would look bad painted Beige, know what I mean LOL
Paul
Paul's correct. It is your engine and the color options are your choice. Cummins uses Sherwin Williams red on it's fire pumps and recently green on the generator sets. Chrysler had them painted black in the Dodges. Beige was common on the remans. Personally I like a low gloss black with red or reddish orange or chrome for the valve covers. Retaining the original engine color of the engine you are replacing is another option.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Dodge truck diesels aren't beige or white... I like the black block with red accents personally. I haven't gotten to the valve covers yet though.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
Boy I hate to even bring this up,,,,,,but would it be OK to paint the engine another color? You guys seem very loyal to the original color.
Personally I dont like tan, usually paint everything black, usually flat black. But decided to paint tranny and transfer case tan also, just for one reason, when a seal or gasket go its a hell of a lot easier to see and locate where it started. My 2 cents

·
Registered
428 Posts
AFAIK (via genset tech) Cummins genset will all be black and red.

Black looks good, doesn't show leaks.

Tan shows any leaks fairly well and when covered with tan dirt doesn't look much different...

I wonder if Cummins wants a serial number to buy factory paint?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Boy I hate to even bring this up,,,,,,but would it be OK to paint the engine another color? You guys seem very loyal to the original color. And there is nothing wrong with that,,,really.
You obviously haven't looked at a lot of 4BT engine swaps done. I think I have seen nearly every color there is, including one Chevy orange and one Ford Blue. The gloss black with red valve covered one looked GREAT!
I think I'll do mine in Caterpillar Yellow just to make a few people scratch their heads.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts