Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading for a long time here and before on Yahoo! I've been in and out of trying a swap and now have decided it's time. Want something to haul the whole family (wife and 3 kids) so looking at SUV's, likely Chevy. Daily driver, weekend hunting/fishing/camping.

Found 2 Suburbans, both 3/4 ton 4x4, both reasonable price for a swap. One is an '85 the other a '93, both automatics and bodies in reasonable shape. Haven't gotten into gearing to see the difference, it appears the '85 has a 14 bolt/Dana 60 which should definitely hold up.

Two questions: Which would be easier to make the swap into? Which would you choose?

On the what if side, I have a rough 84 4Runner in the garage (solid front axle), 5 speed that I looked at a VW TDI conversion, but it doesn't give the power needed for my weekend warrior stuff (1500 lb boat and trailer, towing mulch in utility trailer, etc.) Should I consider this a 4bt candidate?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
hi,
The 85 sub 3/4 would have a 10 bolt front ,not the D60 unless it was swaped in .

If you need the room of a Burb than no need to go smaller .

CrewCab59

·
Registered
500 Posts
the 85' would also be an easier swap since it's a solid axle vs the IFS in the 93. The IFS can be done but there are some issues with clearances. If you do any towing in the burb I'd consider the 6BT in a rig that heavy. The price of the swap will be about the same, if not a few $$'s less with the 6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought it might be easier in the '85. Not much towing, right now using a Subaru to tow with, so should not be a problem. I was shooting for MPG, would the 6 beat the 4 in a Suburban? (of course, assuming gearing, OD, etc. being equal).

Thanks for the comments, that's the type of info I'm looking for. Thank you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you're not towing, the 4BT would be adequate to push the suburban around. A 4wd Suburban typically is in the 5-7k pound range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts