Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good way to determine which 5 speed (ZF or M5OD-R2) is in a 9th gen F150 (92-96)?

I know both the ZF42/47 and the M5OD-R2 will bolt right up to a 4BT. From a shopping perspective for a suitable swap candidate, I would just like to know which "5 speed" I'm looking at without having to crawl under a truck every time to see what trans is in it. Especially since the small-block-pattern ZF has the wider gears that make it more suitable for highway driving, as compared to the M5R2.

If there's not a good way aside from looking for tags and such on the trans, that's cool, but I figured I'd check here first.

-Ken in GA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I found a thread in the Trans FAQ thread that had this data (sorry, I evidently didn't look close enough) that also says to CHECK because sometimes Ford put the ZF in (tow packages sometimes, and northlands edition), and it also may not match the tag on the door or the VIN number.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I guess it's possible, but I've never seen a F150 with the ZF. IIRC the ZF is normally behind 5.8L and up, in the F150 the 5.8L could only be had with an auto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I meant is that they'll all bolt up to the 4BT with the Ford small-block adapter plate combo that was used in a lot of bread vans

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Does the 4BT have an SAE #3 bolt pattern?
There are many different bolt patterns used with this engine.

The 4B and 6B series of engines are made without a bellhousing. The bellhousing is a separate piece. SAE bolt patterns are common in construction equipment, pumps, generators, etc. The 4BT was sold as a conversion kit to bread and chip companies. Ford and Chevy (GMC) bolt patterns are usually found in step van conversions. The 6BT was used in the Dodge Diesel pickups, and had a unique bolt pattern for Chrysler (MOPAR) transmissions.

There are lots of details to be researched, as each major manufacturer has many different bolt patterns.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ah gotcha. Reason I ask, is I just bought a 4BD1 with an SAE #3 housing and a Ford "butterfly" adaptor. Its got a T18 now, but I will eventually buy a 5 speed O/D for it and use it in a work truck so I'm just doing my research as far as what transmissions might mate up. Any ideas there?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If the T18 fits with the butterfly adapter, then the M5OD, the ZF, and several other Ford-application transmissions will work that use the small-block bolt pattern.

Negative. The 5 speeds all have integrated bellhousings, his adapter replaces the removable bellhousing of the Ford 4 speeds.

I'm fairly certain if you want to use a 5 speed with that bellhousing you will have to go with the NV4500, maybe with a short input (Chevy?), and redrill holes to match.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts