Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new crank pully, and I figure i might as well get one with the balancer whether it makes a big difference or not.

As per this thread: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289&highlight=balancer
and this one:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243&highlight=balancer

it looks like a 6bt balancer will fit, but there might be a spacer or a shim depending on year? does anyone know for sure what year will definitely work and what year won't?

There is a variety on ebay and i want to get one that will work:
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

·
Registered
854 Posts
you could search "balancer"....we talked about this a couple weeks ago....it won't help for any vibrations that you can feel, so don't waste your money on one.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could search "balancer"....we talked about this a couple weeks ago....it won't help for any vibrations that you can feel, so don't waste your money on one.
i haven't priced a crank pully from cummins, but i would think i could probably get a used 6bt crank pully and balancer for about the same price, so wasting money is relative...

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
The balancers from the VE and P pumps engines are interchangeable, that would be 1989 thru 1998.5.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I bolted up a 24 valve 2004 big ass balancer to my typical 1990 rotary pump 4BT no problems at all. I just made sure I took the bolts from the 6 cyl when I pulled it but both bolts (4BT and 6BT) will work, the 6BTs are a little longer as the metal thickness of the 6 cyl balance is about 3/8" versus maybe 1/8" of the stock 4BT pulley/non balancer. I haven't run the engine yet with this balancer yet, but I know it bolts on there just fine. Cant see why it wouldn't work..

Here are pics in my "engine thread..."
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304&highlight=dieselcruiserhead's+motor

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bolted up a 24 valve 2004 big ass balancer to my typical 1990 rotary pump 4BT no problems at all. I just made sure I took the bolts from the 6 cyl when I pulled it but both bolts (4BT and 6BT) will work, the 6BTs are a little longer as the metal thickness of the 6 cyl balance is about 3/8" versus maybe 1/8" of the stock 4BT pulley/non balancer. I haven't run the engine yet with this balancer yet, but I know it bolts on there just fine. Cant see why it wouldn't work..

Here are pics in my "engine thread..."
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304&highlight=dieselcruiserhead's+motor
but the pully lines up where it should be?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
2004.5 harmonic balancer doesn't work, found out the hard way, anyone want a harmonic balancer from a 2004.5?

Pully is bigger than my stock one so it interferes with the cover bolts. I may mess around and see if i can get it work, but for now i'm done wasting time and money. I already bought a brand new dipstick for my 700r4 that was also the wrong size... what else can i waste money on...

This is the one i got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=230172421632&rd=1

since the pully is definitely bigger at least 1/2" - 5/8" in diamater different, i'd need a new belt to run it no matter. I plan to run AC at some point so I will need a longer belt then too, might as well do both at the same time, i still need a straight crank pully though...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cummins Vibration Dampers

This quote is from the Cummins Service Manual B3.9, B4.5, B4.5 RGT, and B5.9 series engines, Vol 1, page 1-158, printed June 22, 2006.

"There are two different design vibration dampers used on the B Series engines: a. Viscous damper (A) for engines rated at speeds above 2500 rpm. B. Rubber element damper (B) for engines rated at speeds below 2500 rpm. NOTE: The rubber vibration damper (B) is available either with or without the crankshaft adapter."

I hope this helps.

Lewis

81 J10
4BT
GM/Munce 465
208 xfr
3.31 Diffs

·
Registered
220 Posts
The one on my 4BT is from a 2002 24V. It is larger than the earlier ones. I don't agree that it is a waste of money. You CAN feel a difference. Get the one with a rubber isolator though. Those suckers are heavy, that's probably why they help with vibrations that you CAN feel and vibes that you can't. Well worth the money. I have a pulley if you want it for $EDIT$, you pay the shipping.---:grinpimp:

·
Registered
220 Posts
The one on my 4BT is from a 2002 24V. It is larger than the earlier ones. I don't agree that it is a waste of money. You CAN feel a difference. Get the one with a rubber isolator though. Those suckers are heavy, that's probably why they help with vibrations that you CAN feel and vibes that you can't. Well worth the money. I have a pulley if you want it for $EDIT$, you pay the shipping.---:grinpimp:
Bob S.
I guess the joke about selling the pulley was too subtle. Who would pay $XX for a pulley, when you can get a decent balancer for $25. Thats what I paid for mine. The shop where I got mine had about 5 to choose from. Sorry Bob, if I really want to sell something, I'll post it in the classifieds.
Bob B.----;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob S.
I guess the joke about selling the pulley was too subtle. Who would pay $XX for a pulley, when you can get a decent balancer for $25. Thats what I paid for mine. The shop where I got mine had about 5 to choose from. Sorry Bob, if I really want to sell something, I'll post it in the classifieds.
Bob B.----;)
cost of shipping? you got my attention :D

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Just trying to keep everyone on the right track. ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Who would pay $XX for a pulley, when you can get a decent balancer for $25. Thats what I paid for mine.
yeah, who'da thunk it? It's nice to have a cheap part available once in a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts