Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 4btaa with an aluminum radiator that is 27'x16" that is 2 core and double pass(inlet and outlet on same side) I need an electric fan that will match up with the radiator.
I haven't run the engine yet so have no idea how well the radiator will do keeping it cool by itself.
How many CFM do I need? I don't have time to find a taruas fan, I'd like to get something new.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
fan

Hi ,
If you want a Taurus fan , I keep them on hand .

Best bang for the buck ,They don't look like the $400.00 ones but they have more cfm than most of them .

The J10 project has on and Austin only need it when setting still for a bit ,for the most part he doesn't even need one.

Scott

·
Registered
854 Posts
Everyone seems to agree that very little cooling is needed with these engines. I think one guy is running a factory Ford 300 6 cyl radiator and no fan and it has never run hot. The Taurus fan is way too big and would be overkill unless you did a lot of slow speed off-road stuff. Try it without a fan first and buy one later if you think you need one.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My 5,600 lb. '67 Dodge has a 2 row fan [old thing] that's 21" X 21", so 441 surface sq in. and yours at 27" X 16" comes out to 432 surface sq in. Like everybody else said, I've never once needed my fan even driving hard in high desert mountains on 105* day. I towed a pretty heavy load without fan at about 90-95 * and heat gauge still stays at 180* or below. I've also noticed that my 4BT seems to cool down when idling which is the opposite of what a gasser does, for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have one 10" and one 12" hayden on my 6BT with a standard chevy 3 core replacement radiator. I have not towed anything, but it stays around 190-200 while cruising with the A/C on with no problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ditto with everyone. Even when I drove the bread truck around here at 7900 feet in the montains I never heard the fan engage. I plan to use a Flex-a-lite fan mounted combo unit for my conversion. :beer: cheers:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts