Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Which Diesel Tank is better?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  saeed 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm planning to buy a Diesel Storage Tank to store Diesel for my farm equipment. Not sure which one to get though?

I have been looking at the following options -

Self Bunded - Farm Tank or Self Bunded Diesel Tank or Single Skin Diesel Tank
Polyethylene Tanks - Diesel UTE Tank made out of Polyethylene or Polycube Polyethylene Diesel Storage Tanks

I am a newbie and I'm having a hard time choosing between these tanks. Which one would last longer? Do these tanks have to be maintained regularly? Are there any other tanks other than self bunded and Polyethylene?

Any help will be very much appreciated. Many thanks

#2 ·
I'd say the option is yours as to which style to use. Most farms I've been around had either a 500 or 1000 gallon steel tank with a fuel transfer pump. In the old days the tank was often in a high position so you could do gravity feed instead of an electric pump. On a bare steel tank you'd want a filter and any type tank should have a water separator filter. Not sure of the lifespan of the poly tanks but steel ones kept in constant use will last about forever. The fuel inside acts as a rust barrier and paint the outside to keep it looking nice.

#3 ·
If you are keeping it outside. Get a steel one. Keep it painted and try to get a port on the low spot for a water drain. Drain it every month. If you don't need to drain large quantities fast use the smallest breather you can.
I keep 2 poly tanks in the barn. They are forever if you keep the sun off of them. Mud wasp don't plug the breather either. Just gotta watch out with the forklift.

#4 ·
If you are planning on storing the fuel for a long period of time try to get fuel that has no bio mixed in. In some states its not possible to purchase fuel below B5 and a lot of it is B20. Even off road dyed fuel. The bio portion of the fuel breaks down a lot faster and can turn acidic. To my knowledge there is no stabilizer that works to keep the organic compounds from breaking down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.