Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm almost finished (yeah right) with my '74 Bronco 4BT, NV4500 and NP241.

Now I've offered to help my Sister and husband convert her 91 FJ80 to a 4BT. The Cruiser has almost 300K amazingly. They really want to keep it auto and I know nothing about Dodge autos. I have seen refernece to RH47's being a good choice. I would prefer no electronics. The less wiring the better. I have done plenty of EFI conversions and I am tired of mating harnesses. Is the RH47 a lockup converter? Electric or hydraulic?

We will probably use a stock Dodge version NP241 if it will fit between the frame rails. Adapting it to the Toyota driveshafts might be a challenge. Speedo? Don't know yet.

Please shed some knowledge on the Dodge auto issue as I am ignorant here.

Thx,
Shane

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not sure about dodge but it seems a fair number of people are using chevy overdrive autos. Boots4 has a build up going in an FJ60 with a chevy auto. Using the adapter from the 4bt that was used to hook up the TH400.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Use a 47RH. The electronics are simple. The 4L80E is either a real pain, real expensive or both to get working right. Plus it's got the 8 degree tilt.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Use a 47RH. The electronics are simple. The 4L80E is either a real pain, real expensive or both to get working right. Plus it's got the 8 degree tilt.
I don't see how the tilt is a problem. Just keep the tranny level and let the engine tilt like it was in the stepvan. I think it will depend on how you plan to control the tranny and maybe that's what you refer to being a pain. If the 4bt already comes with the chevy adapter you don't have to source the parts to hook up the dodge tranny, for a 4L80e just get a diesel converter, decide how to control it (manually in my case), bolt it up. Pretty much like most autos I figure. Guess I'm just wondering what's the pain about it. Expensive, it can be, but pain?

I thought the H at the end of 47rh ment it was hydraulically controlled. Don't know much about them so they could make a good auto behind the 4bt.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,681 Posts
I thought the H at the end of 47rh ment it was hydraulically controlled. Don't know much about them so they could make a good auto behind the 4bt.

I think he means the "electrical hookup" is easy, only 3 wires. On the 46RH it's two wires.

·
Registered
126 Posts
They also used torqflites in the early dodge diesels. They work fine under normal use. Just can't beat on them. No electronics no overdrive. Dunrite Converters in Vancouver Wa. has parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts