Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4bt ve pump, hx30w6, stage 1 fuel pin. Daily driver, which governor spring is right for my setup? Stock valve springs.
thanks

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
395 Posts
The 3200 gov spring. People don't realize that on a VE pump, the 3800 or higher spring, will make the roller skip/jump over the back side of the camplate on a otherwise stock VE pump. Resulting in pre-mature damage to the roller & back side of ramp on camplate.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've been running a 3800rpm spring for a looong time on my "otherwise stock" VE pump. Long time with the diaphragm pump, and a while now with the piston pump. Haven't noticed any performance degradation, or running issues, that would make me suspect damage. Haven't read any reports from anyone on this forum about damage from running a 3800rpm spring before this post.

Nascarmark will come back and say that I'm stupid I'm sure ?

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
395 Posts
lol. Absolutely not, but your not twisting past 3200 rpm on a daily bases. Damage only occurs above that & only over long term. Think on the lines of turning more rpm's than what a cam & valve spring combo is designed for. The back side of the nose of camshaft will start showing damage over time from skipping over the nose of the cam & landing hard. It's the bounce that will cause the damage. In the case of the VE inj pump, it's the camplate & the roller & the roller spring that takes the damage over time. Hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Unless you have a very modified engine you will be way out of efficiency and loosing power above 3K - that has been my experience.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Eh, it's nice to be able to spin it up faster if you've got a lot of load, to make gear changes earlier.

No regrets going with the 3800rpm spring in my truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts