Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title states , anybody buy NAPA units or should I stick w/ OE ? Thank you, guys in advance !

·
Registered
292 Posts
For what????

Dodge bell housing? ford bell housing? GM internal slave? ZF 5spd slave? what fire wall? what kind of rig? distance from pedal to fire wall? for master, amount of travel?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Good stuff..

Just as the title states , anybody buy NAPA units or should I stick w/ OE ? Thank you, guys in advance !
If you're asking from a qualitative standpoint, and not from "what part # do I need", I'd have to say yes, NAPA stuff is generally on par (if not better in some cases) with what you'll pick up at the dealer. Even after working at a NAPA for several years in one of my past lives, I still find NAPA to be my preferred parts house. A bit pricey in some cases, but usually for a reason. And always cheaper than dealer.

In fact, a lot of dealers use parts from sources other than "genuine" whatever. I've sold many a part to Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and Dodge dealerships in my day, and not just for their used car lot.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The world has changed some too. I used to shop NAPA only, until I discovered that in most cases everybody is selling the same Made in India, Made in China, Made in Mexico parts! I looked at a NV4500 trans mount at NAPA, Shucks, and CarQuest: all identical, all made in India and by the part labels, by the same factory, but different store labels on box.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
The world has changed some too. I used to shop NAPA only, until I discovered that in most cases everybody is selling the same Made in India, Made in China, Made in Mexico parts! I looked at a NV4500 trans mount at NAPA, Shucks, and CarQuest: all identical, all made in India and by the part labels, by the same factory, but different store labels on box.
Very true..

The trend of focusing on the price and not the quality was getting going when I departed NAPA's employ about 6 years ago.

Any more, you have to ask whether or not they carry the part in a different brand or line to get the good stuff. If you don't ask / specify, they'll quote / give you the cheap stuff to compete with the *other* stores out there. Nice thing about the average NAPA is that they don't just offer the better stuff, but usually also stock it. (Of course, I'm fortunate in that I've got a NAPA warehouse within 10 miles of the house.. They've got EVERYTHING.)

And, some of the stuff is going to be the same as anywhere else, including dealer. Rebuilt / remanufactured items are where you'll see a lot of this. AC stuff is another..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dodge bellhsg

Sorry guys I was jumping the gun here ! Dodge bellhousing , nv4500 going into a 1970 chevy 4x4
Guess I'll try NAPA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts