Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here but have been reading through your threads for a while. Thanks for the info. I have a 4bt dated 1985 with the VE pump. However, the lower tag has been removed. On the rebuild, I found one the pistons got eaten up by a piece of the head gasket. So Im looking for new stock, standard size pistons. Does anyone have a part number? Are they compatible with certain year 6bt? Also, the cam has pitting, so if you have any numbers for that, it would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
446 Posts

·
446 Posts

·
446 Posts

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Curious, you say the engine ID plate is missing but it's a 1985 model. That year would make that the second year of production. Is the ID plate still on the injection pump. If so, that can tell you the CPL of the engine. Also, if you look at the piston itself there is often a Cummins part # stamped into the top. Are you replacing just the one or a complete set? If you replace them all you just need to be sure they have the correct combustion chamber for a VE pump. Cummins changed piston designs in those engines quite often to improve smog rating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ID plate is missing on the side. Also no ser# on block. But the EPA tag with the year is still up top. There is no tag on the pump but there is a bunch of stamped numbers on the pump -NR.0 463 424 027 , VE R 230-1, 390 8191, 011 644 8751. Ive looked on the pistons at length but can't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
On the numbers you found stamped on the injection pump 3908191 is the Cummins part #. 0 460 424 027 is the Bosch part #. You show part beginning 0 463 but that is not correct. As Goat pointed out you have a CPL767. If you need a serial # to look up parts on Cummins Quick Serve, use number 44205343. This one was built in 1987 but the parts are the same as yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the numbers you found stamped on the injection pump 3908191 is the Cummins part #. 0 460 424 027 is the Bosch part #. You show part beginning 0 463 but that is not correct. As Goat pointed out you have a CPL767. If you need a serial # to look up parts on Cummins Quick Serve, use number 44205343. This one was built in 1987 but the parts are the same as yours.
Awesome! Thanks guys. So based on that CPL If I order those pistons should I look up my injector type to make sure I have the Right spray pattern to match the pistons as well as the injection pump?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Ive tried to order these pistons (3903582) 3 times now and every time the company (Cummins, FP Diesel and Interstate McBee) has came back out of stock. Apparently this is not a common piston. Is there another piston that I can use? Thanks

·
446 Posts
Ya, good luck on trying to get pistons directly from Cummins or Mahle as I have customers that have been waiting for almost 4 months now. I took off my site any size I don't have in stock, as neither company can tell you when they will be able to supply again. my educated guess is they are getting out of DCEC plant in China, no matter what they might tell you.
As I posted in #2 post I have a set of new Cummins std size pistons with the same bowl design etc as your old pistons. That bowl design is known as the large bowl, which is used for the early VE injection engines with 155 deg spray angle. I have used these pistons on everything from stock to very high performance builds because the bowl design allows to use any inj from a 145 deg to 155 deg spray angle & also the piston has more mass before 1st ring landing, similar to the marine pistons, allowing for better heat retention before distortion.

·
446 Posts
Of course...

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
As Mark stated there is a pretty good probability that those pistons are coming out of China and causing a shipment slowdown. The piston 3907163 you mentioned is a very common replacement. That piston which replaced 3802160 was for non emission standard engines. CPL767 wouldn't show in that list of CPL numbers but the pistons will still work fine. Tractor Parts Direct sells those for $58.95 each and show they are in stock. Here's a link to their site. CUMMINS 4BT 3.9 / 6BT 5.9 NON-EMISSION TURBO PISTON KIT 3802160 3907163 A77518

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a 3907163 piston a compression ratio of 17.5:1 where as his original piston is CR 18.5:1?

·
446 Posts
K, I'll correct you. Original non IC pistons in OP's engine are/were 17.5:1

1 - 20 of 30 Posts