Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
There is something on it that looks different than the pump on mine. I believe mine is a VE as well.
The Pump in the picture has the Wax Motor KSB. Its the cylinder looking part with the tube coming off the top and the electrical contact on the right end. You may have the selinoid type KSB which does look a little different.

Paul

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Pump in the picture has the Wax Motor KSB. Its the cylinder looking part with the tube coming off the top and the electrical contact on the right end. You may have the selinoid type KSB which does look a little different.

Paul
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750

Look at my pic of the pump, I think it is a little different. I don't think it has the thing directlly below the throttle linkage, about 3/4 of the way down. That is where mine has the model # stamped on it.

My solenoid looks similar.. that solenoid allows the fuel to flow correct?

·
Registered
808 Posts

Look at my pic of the pump, I think it is a little different. I don't think it has the thing directlly below the throttle linkage, about 3/4 of the way down. That is where mine has the model # stamped on it.

I am confused, which picture are your refering to ?

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts

Regarding your question on the KSB Solenoid. In the picture the KSB is the Wax Motor Style, not Solenoid. Its purpose/function is as follows;'

Quote from Cummins Shop Manual B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section 5 - Fuel System - Group 5
"Cold Start Timing Advance System (KSB)
Need for KSB on VE Pumps
Emission requirements for 1988 prompted the need for a cold start timing advance system (KSB) to minimize white smoke.

After the engine starts, the Wax Motor Style KSB fully advances the ignition timing at low idle until the engine warms up. The KSB is not functional after the engine reaches 71 degrees C or 160 degrees F coolant temperature."

Paul

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I don't have a manual yet, but that is a clue that my motor is not an '89, must be 86 (stamp is faint) thanks, most helpful.
Regarding your question on the KSB Solenoid. In the picture the KSB is the Wax Motor Style, not Solenoid. Its purpose/function is as follows;'

Quote from Cummins Shop Manual B3.9 and B5.9 Series Engines
Section 5 - Fuel System - Group 5
"Cold Start Timing Advance System (KSB)
Need for KSB on VE Pumps
Emission requirements for 1988 prompted the need for a cold start timing advance system (KSB) to minimize white smoke.

After the engine starts, the Wax Motor Style KSB fully advances the ignition timing at low idle until the engine warms up. The KSB is not functional after the engine reaches 71 degrees C or 160 degrees F coolant temperature."

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts